Memory of Anubis

Both Zero and Tikal enter the two beings in the memory, fully reliving an event from thousands of years ago. Everything becomes real again as Tikal and an Egyptian version of Zero, treasure four gemstones in a cave. Each one lights up the space with it's radiance. One is red, one is pink, one is blue and one is cyan.

"I think this is a safe spot to hide our gems, Anubis," Tikal playfully exclaims.

"Agreed, Tikal!" replies Anubis. "You know these stones represent the four corners of light, right?"

Tikal holds his hand. Zero is bombarded by a flood of emotions. Thousands of years ago, yet the name, Anubis, feels like his true name.

"You're imagination is so dazzling!" giggles Tikal.

"Shut up," the young jackal giggles, then sits down with her on the floor of the cave. "Listen, this is real." He points to each gem and thoughtfully explains. "Don't ever forget. Blue is for courage. Red is for valor. Pink means joy. Cyan means innocence. Don't forget okay, Tikal? We have to protect these magic stones!"

"We will but... will they stay in here forever? Anubis, who will see them if they're hidden in the dark?"

"Anyone strong enough to enter the darkness will see them," Anubis replies. "Light is brighter in the darkness. I'm not afraid of the dark. Are you?"

"Not when I'm with you," Tikal replies, clasping Anubis' hands as he grips all four gems. The stones shimmer through their fingers, creating mystical splashes of light. The beams reflect various crystals in the cave, creating the illusion of both children floating safely in the galaxy together.

"You're my dearest friend. As long as we're together, I'm sure the stones will be safe," Tikal adds.

"Yes, they're definitely safe but, there's only one way to seal them from eternal danger."

"Oh! Well I don't want them to be in danger. They're too precious!" she warmly replies.

"Me neither. You can seal them in a safe place forever... by kissing me four times. Once on each side of my face, once on my forehead, and... once on my lips. Got it, princess?"

Tikal is about to happily indulge Anubis, but their place of peace is disturbed abruptly when two members of the Knuckles Clan suddenly storm the cave.

"Tikal!" one warrior grunts. "What are you doing in this cryptic cavern with our sworn enemy?!"

The second clan member violently yanks Anubis away from Tikal. He drops the gems on the ground. They are immediately stomped on by the first clan member, each stone crushed into colorful dust.

"Trickster!" the second warrior shouts harshly, "tying to isolate and tempt her. Our princess has no business with perverted scavengers!"

The muscular echidna throws the terrified jackal over his shoulder and marches down the hall of the cave. Anubis kicks and screams, crying out to his friend

"Tikal, help me!"

"Quiet, worthless mutt, no one wants you!" the echidna snaps back.

"Stop! Don't hurt Anubis!" Tikal begs. "Please, leave him alone! He's my friend!"

"Silence, Tikal," the first clan member barks as he easily restrains her. "You'll make friends with more valuable children. Beggars like him are lucky to lick the dirt off your shoes."

"Tikal, save me!" the jackal cries, his voice echoing through out the cave.

"Anubis!" she cries back.

"You won't be seeing him again," a first clan member informs her. "The Knuckles Clan does not associate with the Jackal Tribe."

"What are you going to do with him?" whimpers Tikal.

In the distance, near the entrance of the cave, one last cry can be heard from the jackal... a falling scream so excruciating and then... silence.

"No, please, what have you done?!" panics Tikal.

"Everything will be okay, Princess. Simply do not look over the edge of the floating island when we exit the cave. Keep your eyes on my back."

The memory disappears. Zero watches Tikal finish removing the mask from his face. The thought of Anubis, fresh in her brokenhearted expression. She holds the mask close to her bosom and lets out a terrible cry of agony. Zero is about to reach for her. So is Mephiles, from behind. Before Zero can save her, a flash of light sends him back into the canyon, without the mask. Upset, he calls out.

"No! Tikal, show yourself right now! That's a direct order from your commander!"