Chapter Fourteen

Ian took a deep breath and rang the bell. He would stick to the plan that had been worked out and hope it ended well. Ludlow didn't know what had been happening on the islands, the board only knew the lease was no longer with the Costa Rican government.

"Who shall I tell Mr. Hammond is calling?" The butler who opened the door asked.

"Ian Malcolm. I've been summoned," he answered and was allowed into the foyer, looking around. He much preferred the airy feeling of places back on the islands. He heard footsteps above him on the stairs and glanced up, smiling as he spotted two teenagers.

"Dr. Malcolm!" Tim called down happily, racing down the stairs.

"Hello, Dr. Malcolm," Lex walked down more slowly but her grin was just as big.

"Kids, kids." He hugged them both. "It's so great to see you." They'd only managed the one visit to the islands since Harry had bought them. Harry had seen them more recently when he'd come to visit John but other than that, there had been some emails from them. "It's so great to see you. Look at you." He grinned at them.

"You came to see Grandpa?" Lex asked, brushing back now very long hair. She looked very different in a summer dress than she had in her shorts and top when they first met.

"Yeah, he called me. Do you know what it's about?" He asked as if he didn't know but he doubted the kids were in on the plan. "I don't either. This joint's kind of creepy, isn't it?" he asked, catching the look the two kids exchanged, no longer happy and he frowned. "Is everything okay?"

"Well, not exactly," Lex admitted warily.

"Dr. Malcolm," a voice called, and Ian turned to look up the stairs. "Dr. Malcolm. Here to share a few campfire stories with my uncle?"

"Making up more cover stories?" Ian shot back. "You lied about the deaths of two people. You misinformed the public about what happened."

"That's your version of the truth."

"There are no 'versions' of the truth," he snapped. "InGen can't keep spewing out..."

"InGen is my responsibility now and I will jealously defend its interests," Ludlow smirked.

"Yours? What about Mr. Hammond?"

"It is our board of directors I must face, not my uncle. Trust me, your problems are about to be rendered moot. In a few weeks' time, they'll be long forgotten."

Ian grabbed his arm as he went to walk passed him.

"Not by me."

"Careful," he pulled Ian's hand off. "This suit cost more than your education." With that he left the house and Ian watched him go before heading upstairs to see John.

He entered the room and frowned at the medical equipment. "Have you seen the doctors on the island?" he asked, and John chuckled.

"There's no cure for old age," John struggled up and Ian moved to help him.

"The bait's been taken then?" Ian asked and John nodded.

"The board has used the incident to take control of InGen from me," John sighed and sat at his desk. "I hope this works."

"Me too, there is too much at stake," Ian agree, patting his shoulder.

"And how is your lady?" John teased and Ian chuckled.

"Back from another trip to Africa studying lions, and she jumped at the chance to help our little charade. So, who are the two lunatics you conned into this?"

"It was hard to convince them of what they would see...in the end had to use my checkbook," he chuckled but handed over the two files. "But there's Nick van Owen, a video documentarian...and Eddie Carr, who's a field equipment expert since you won't be using Sanctus equipment for this."