Chapter Ten

It was a relief to return home, the students quickly spreading stories of what had happened even as the Council met to discuss the same things, including what the children hadn't been privy to. No one had blinked when Harry had ducked over to Isla Muerta, assuming he just wanted to see how work on the Magical Preserve was going. He did, but he also had the first inhabitant ready to be released and he watched as Slinky happily slithered off to get used to her new home, the basilisk much more at home in the tropics than the freezing cold of Scotland. He then returned for the Council meeting, listening as Filius filled the others in on the new teachers at Hogwarts, glad he didn't have Slughorn as a teacher while wondering if they could get Professor Scamander to come, the man had literally written the textbook on magical creatures after all.

~~

Harry grinned as Hermione opened her Christmas gift, enjoying her gasp of shock before she was hugging him to death. He'd gotten her a rare, signed, first edition of Moste Potente Potions, which had been very hard to find. She liked potions and loved books so when he had found it, the book had seemed the perfect gift. Her gift to him was new Quidditch armour and a Quidditch jersey in Sanctus' colours with his name and number on it. The school didn't have official teams yet, not enough students so she had used his number from Hogwarts.

Most of the day was spent with family but they joined the school for dinner, Harry there officially as King as most of the island's inhabitants piled in as well.

~~

Ron wandered the halls; this year wasn't turning out as fun as he'd hoped. He'd heard his parents whispering about the tournament and had planned to enter. Then the Headmaster had to use that stupid age line that not even the twins had managed to fool. That murderer Potter somehow managed to not only enter but steal the spotlight and cause a fuss. He dared to show his face in the school again only to have the teachers get him out of competing, coward. And what had the cup been thinking to pick a Hufflepuff for Hogwarts Champion? Everyone knew Gryffindors were the best.

A door up ahead opened, and Ron paused only to see Mad Eye Moody emerge. "Weasley, get in here," the gruff voice ordered, and Ron sighed but obeyed. He stepped inside and everything went black.

'Mad-Eye' stared down at the unconscious student. He wasn't the best choice, but he was a Weasley, a blood traitor and one-time best friend of Potter. He quickly levitated him and headed for the secret tunnel out of the castle, once past the wards he apparated away.

~~

Amelia stormed into the Castle, Aurors at her back as she slammed the doors to the Great Hall open.

"Amelia..."

"Save it," she snarled, thrusting the official papers at him. "Where is Moody?"

"He hasn't come to the last three meals, I knocked on his door, but he didn't answer. I told Madam Pomphrey since he had it rather securely locked and she said she'd check today," Newt spoke up when it was obvious no one else knew.

"That wasn't Moody. Strange that you've had an imposter teaching here all year and didn't realise it wasn't him, considering you're such good friends." She took her Aurors to the Defence Professor's rooms and they went to work forcing entry, Poppy soon joining them with a medical bag. They found the imposter gone, the rooms a mess but they methodically went through it, looking for any sign of what had happened to the real Moody.

"Here," Shacklebolt called and they found him scanning a multi-compartment trunk. They got it open and went through the compartments until they came to one that went down a long way, seeing the man at the bottom. Poppy went in after him, not wanting to risk moving him until she had assessed his condition. She soon had him ready for transport to St Mungo's and the team had everything in the room packed up to investigate in full once back at the Ministry. There were no obvious clues as to where Crouch Jnr had gone, Snr was in a holding cell to face questioning over his son's escape.