Chapter Twelve

The cauldron was moved into place by the Riddle grave, a fire lite beneath it before various ingredients were added. Then Pettigrew returned to the warded area, leaving them to wait as darkness fell. As the full moon began to rise Pettigrew returned, pulling a skinny form with him and Amelia grabbed Bill's shoulder to make sure he stayed down for now. Seconds later another man appeared, cradling something in his arms. Ron was secured to the grave stone while the bundle was dropped into the cauldron. Amelia let go of Bill and give the signal right as Crouch cut off his own hand, dropping it into the cauldron.

~~

Bill bolted at full speed towards where his baby brother was as the Aurors swarmed out from hiding. He ignored them as planned, relieved when one attacked Pettigrew and he quickly used a cutting curse to the back of the stone Ron was tied to, freeing him. To his fear, his brother collapsed. Then he was rounding the stone and scooping up the gangly form before turning and running to the edge of the wards where he activated the portkey, depositing them in the Auror's medical ward where he handed his brother to the Healers. He bent over, breathing heavily and waved off the approaching Healer. "I'm fine, just winded." He moved to the side, watching as they worked to check Ron over, terrified for his brother.

He only looked away when the rest of the team arrived, minus the Unspeakables. There were three bodies on stretchers, four walking wounded and one living prisoner who looked terrified and cowed, Pettigrew. It wasn't hard to work out that Crouch had gone down fighting, he was a fanatic.

"How is he?" Amelia asked and Bill shrugged, they hadn't spoken to him yet, so he moved to help get the injured Aurors settled.

Finally, a Healer approached him. "Mr. Weasley?"

"Bill, how is my brother?"

"Malnourished although he was fed some. Wherever he was kept was cold and damp, his lungs are congested, and he has some mild hypothermia. We will be transferring him to St Mungo's now that he is stable, if you wish to inform the rest of your family?"

"He'll recover?" Bill asked and the Healer hesitated. "Will he?"

"He should, although there are no guarantees. So long as his lungs clear he will recover, his body temperature is already increasing so that is not a worry. We are unsure of his mental state after so long in captivity."

Bill nodded. "Thank you." He watched as they moved Ron to the hospital and then left himself, going to find a Floo to call his parents.

~~

They cheered as Cedric was announced as the winner of the Tournament, everyone liked Cedric, he was such a genuine person. Hogwarts could do with some positive press after all of the troubles of the last four years. They listened as the prize was awarded and then turned it off, not interested in the speeches and then the room was silent as they waited to hear from Amelia. After what felt like an eternity the mirror finally activated to reveal a tired but happy Amelia Bones.

"We've got them. Ron Weasley has been transferred to St Mungo's for treatment, but they are optimistic for his chances. Crouch Jnr refused to be taken alive, but we have Pettigrew for trial."

"And on our side?" Sirius asked and she sighed.

"Two dead Aurors, several wounded but all will live.

"What about Voldemort?" Harry asked in concern.

"The Unspeakables had the...thing we found."

"Thanks for telling us, go get some rest," Sirius told her, and she laughed.

"Reports first. I'll speak with you later." With that the mirror went dark.

~~

Arthur rushed into the ward with Molly just in front of him, looking around till he spotted Bill standing from a chair beside an occupied bed.