Chapter 2 - Park Bench

Start from the beginning

I sped up only slightly, finally reaching him, standing stiffly, only just out of his reach. 

"...to set at rest our troubled minds, and put at ease out ruffled spirits..."

"Who." He spoke, voice thick and heavy with anger. 

"W-what do you mean, who?" I asked, trying not to let my voice display my nervousness, failing when it cracked and I stuttered. 

"...and what story shall we hear? ah, it will be a familiar story..."

He grinned crookedly, amused with my fear of him. He pulled the liquor bottle back and thrust it forward at the wall to his right, smashing it against it. I jumped a little and looked at the now sharp and jagged broken bottles edge with wide eyes, shards on the floor glinting and glimmering in the light of the setting sun. 

"...a story that is so very, very old, and yet it is so new..."

"I asked you, who?" He repeated slowly, treating me like I was dumb, "who were you with yesterday, huh? Who is so important that they take priority over your own family?"

I gulped down the rising lump in my throat, simultaneously swallowing back the tide of tears that were threatening to spill at any moment. 

"...it is the old, old story of love..."

I almost laughed at the word when I heard it. Family. Did he really think he was a part of this family? Legally, yes he may be, but in the meaning of the word, not a chance. 

"It was nobody, I promise." I finally said, eyes tracking each subtle movement of the broken bottle carefully. 

"...two lovers sat on a park bench with their bodies touching each other, holding hands in the moonlight..."

"Ah, so it was nobody?" He echoed menacingly, "well, why don't you go tell this Nobody guy, that I don't appreciate him stealing MY daughter away from me, how's that sound?"

"...there was silence between them..."

I stared back defiantly at him, not daring to utter a single word. 

Suddenly, nearly at the speed of light, there was a balled up fist on my left cheek. The force of the impact sent my head flying to my right, an audible crack emitting from the joints in my neck. 

"...so profound was their love for each other, they needed no words to express it..."

I sucked in a sharp breath of air at the sudden blow, a hand coming up to brush across my new injury tenderly. 

"...and so they sat in silence, on a park bench, with their bodies touching, holding hands in the moonlight..."

He grabbed my hand and ripped it away from my face, using his grip on it to tug me aggressively to him. 

"...finally she spoke..."

"Don't you dare touch me, you filthy bastard." I spat, not even caring what happened to me after. 

"...'do you love me, john?' she asked..."

"What the fuck did you just call me, bitch?" He said, dangerously quiet. 

"...'you know I love you, darling.' he replied. 'I love you more than tongue can tell'..."

"You heard me. I called you a filthy bastard, and I meant every word of it." I said back, my gaze not even wavering for a second. 

"...'you are the light of my life. my sun, moon and stars'..."

My step-father let out a guttural scream and pushed me backwards, hard. I stumbled back and tripped over my feet, landing less than gracefully on my backside.