XXXIII • PRAYER FOR THE DYING

Start from the beginning

"I'm not buying you some. As you can see, I'm in a rush too."

"I see. Okay, I know everyone has their doubts about Jo's magic, but she has an entire month to get stronger and win the merge with Kai, so a little bit of support wouldn't kill anybody." The supportive medical volunteer advised.

"Speaking of killing people. How's Kai?" The curious banshee asked.

"Yeah, about that. Either he's still counting sheep or whatever the hell that psychopaths dream of, he's still a catatonic serial killer, which is good. Look, Alaric's gone out of town to get some mystical thingamabob to give Jo an edge, and Damon's job is to baby-sit Kai, unless you can do part-time because hey, I need him by my side, okay?" The Gilbert girl reminded her.

"Okay, so why can't Stefan and Rosie do the same?" The junior brought up.

"Because Kai already tried to kill them." The girl replied in an obvious tone.

"Right. True love prevails, good for those two. Babysitting, okay. Sounds good. Let's just hope Damon won't smother him with a pillow."

The vampire laughs slightly, "And if he starts twitching or something, just give him fifty milligrams of pentobarbital. You know how it goes."

"Yeah, just keep in mind that you're not a doctor, yet."

"You're just jealous that I'm so cute when I'm all doctorly." The professional medical intern teased her friend, which earns her a look and she giggles.

"Look, I can't promise to look after him tonight, okay? Mom's friend thought of bringing Mom, or maybe me too, to dinner at this little Italian joint that has eggplant so good that you actually think you're eating people."

Elena laughs slightly, "You don't even like eggplant. Unlike me."

"Yeah, well, my mom happen to have a weird eggplant obsession, just like you. Perfect." The nineteen-year-old banshee retorted sarcastically.

"Great." The sophomore smiles in a genuinely positive manner, "Damon also thought of maybe bringing me to this Arthouse Theater after dinner. They're playing some pretentious French flick."

Minerva laughs slightly, "You don't even speak French. Unlike me."

"Yeah, Damon knows it. But not to see the movie, silly. To hide in the back and throw popcorn at the hipsters." Elena laughs as the other frowns, "That look tells me that Damon and I have gone on this date already, haven't we?"

"Oui." The brilliant caramel brunette smiles.

The chestnut brunette sighs in a tired manner, "This is cheating, okay? He already knows everything about me. It's not fair."

"Cheating? Cheating is erasing all of your epic memories with him. That's cheating. And how's the truth not fair, hm?" The younger one teased back.

"I'm serious. Look, if Damon and I are going to do this, then we can't just pick up where we left off. Because I don't remember where that is."

"Aw, then how is any of this my fault?" Minerva earns a desperate 'Help me' look from the half-amnesiac which makes her laugh slightly, "I'm sure he gets that, Elena. It's just, where would you like to start?"

"At the beginning. What time is your mom going?"

"At six, if possible. Her friend's going to pick us- her up then."

The older one nods once, "Okay."

"Great."

"Great."