XII • THE DEVIL INSIDE

twelve. the devil inside

 the devil inside

Hotel Room

Katherine, in Rosie's body, is sitting on an armchair near the window, looking outside, until her trusted daughter comes in through the main door.

"Mia says she needs your corpse." Nadia Petrova informed her.

Her mother frowns, "My corpse? Could the travelers be any creepier?"

"Be nice. Without Mia, you wouldn't be alive, or inside Rosie's body, right now." Her one and only cautious daughter reminded her of the plan.

"I know. I'd be dead...in my corpse. A corpse that some traveler says they need. Yeah...you see how that's creepy." Katherine reminded her in return.

"Do you want to take control of Rosie's body, or not?"

The caramel brunette stands up from the armchair, "Look...I get it, okay. We have no idea when Rosie's consciousness is going to pop out. Speaking of, why did you suggest me to take over the Kavanagh doppelgänger's body?"

"You clearly weren't paying attention. I told you I was raised by Liana Kavanagh as soon as your father sent me away from you after birth."

"Great. Another doppelgänger. Should I be worried if she shows up?"

"She died by the plague in 1520. Fortunately, now you remind me of both my adoptive and birth mother." Nadia gives her a half-smile of this benefit.

"Okay. Now, do you want to tell me what you're doing over there?"

She watches as her daughter goes through the duffel bag she came in with.

"Get on the bed. Just in case Rosie decides to show up while I'm out getting your body."

"So, I'm just going to be stuck in some hotel room, on a bed, while Stefan and Damon Salvatore are leaving me voicemails? Remind me again how this is better than being dead." Katherine goes to sit on the middle of the bed.

"Because once Mia does the spell, Rosie will be gone forever and that body will be yours for good." Nadia handcuffs her own mother to the big bed.

****

Salvatore Boarding House, Wine Room

Stefan Salvatore is rummaging through his main collection of glass bottles of alcohol while speaking on the phone with his friend, "I need a favor. You know how Damon was trying to be all noble and broke up with Elena?"

"Just because he wants to 'relieve' her from who he is while still being in love with Rosie, how can anyone forget? There was champagne, even." Minerva is in her dorm room, waiting for her freshman boyfriend to come.