Ch-3 Jason

One day she came back all excited from the office and was jumping around and giggling out of the blue for no apparent reason while cutting tomatoes or making cheese lasagna, which scared the hell out of me every single time. I thought the ghost of a little girl invaded her and I pointed the knife which I was using to cut the roast mushrooms at her and yelled,

"WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?"

She looked at my fierce expression and burst out laughing. I was so freaked out I just froze, and she put a hand on my shoulder and said,

"I'll tell you about it at dinner"

***

We finally finished dinner and bit into our apple pies. I'm a really good baker, and I had made it with vanilla ice cream on top of each slice. I don't make dessert every day, just when Julia wants to tell me something big or there's an occasion or if its Friday (you know, 'cause it's the end of a tiring week). It was Friday today, anyway.

"So. What did you want to tell me?"

She smiled as if she remembering something.

"I met this guy. At the office."

"Oh yeah? What was he like?"

"Like - you know, kinda like the charming sort. He was really nice. He joined the office a bit before me. I never really talked to him much, but today I decided to. He's really smart. And good looking, really. I mean he's really - his eyes are kinda like a hue of blue I've never seen. I hadn't talked to him before, but when I did... it was... ye know-"

"At least tell me his name. "

"Oh yeah - right. Jace. Cohen. Jason Cohen. actually."

" Why are you blushing? "

" I-"

She touched her cheeks, eyes opened wide. Then smiled. Her cheeks had turned into an adorably noticeable hue of red.

"Just say it. Do you...like him...?"

"Ugh! Jess, why do you guess my feelings so easily"

I laughed. "Jess? I'm not your best friend! And of course, I can guess your feelings! Anybody can, you know that?"

Jess-Jessie Hurlen was her best friend, at work.

She laughed. "Yeah. Probably. Anyway. He asked me if I could go to lunch with him. The forty-five minute lunch break. You think I should go?"

I shrugged. " Up to you", I replied, taking a bite of my ice cream and the pie together. I shoved the entire thing into my mouth, and some drops of ice cream fell on my chin. We both giggled.

"That's not really helpful advice you know?"

I groaned "Julia! It's simple. You like him, you go. You don't like him, you don't go. Don't annoy me!" shaking my head and smiling at her at the same time.

"Fine! I... guess I'll go then. He said we could go to Carlene's."

"Oh. That cafe? It's pretty amazing. Go. The food is kinda expensive, so it's kind of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

"Oh, c'mon. It's not that expensive. Anyway, I'll go then. I'll wear something nice. Wanna go to Hillside?. And don't eat too much. We could go to Susie's"

"Sure. Did you give Witty her food?"

"Duh. Obvi. I care about her more than you do."

"Now that's what I call a good joke."

"It's true!"

"Ugh, Julia. Let's just go."

"Fiii-iiine" She sang.