When I Wake, I Will Have To Slip Away

This isn't a part 2 of the previous oneshot. That is coming soon, though!

This one was inspired by "Daylight" by Maroon 5. Coincidently a prequel to I've Made It Home. No it wasn't intended.

-=+=-

Jack's POV:

He is leaving me for an entire year. In just three hours, he'll be boarding his plane. It hurt just to think about. We both laid in bed, but neither of us really slept through the night. We're spending our last hours together while we're awake.

Eight o'clock is his departure time, so we plan on leaving the house at 6:45 to ensure we could get there without rushing and he had plenty of time to get through security and find his terminal. It's currently exactly 5am. It's only approximately two hours before I kiss him for the last time until his return.

We're both tired, but we don't make an effort to sleep. We don't do well for just a few days apart, but now we have to go an entire year. Sadness reflects in both of our eyes, guilt mixed in the honey brown depths of his.

"It's not your fault," I whisper into the silence that encompasses us.

He breathes in deeply, shakily exhaling. "I know," he mumbles. "I just wish I could change it. Or take you with me."

"Me too," I reply, letting us fall back into silence. There's not much that needs to be said. We're both upset over the whole ordeal.

"Come here," he murmurs, pulling me against him. I instinctively fit my body against his, us fitting together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Natural, exact, and in place. "I'm really going to miss this," he mumbles.

"I'm really going to miss you," I reply, almost choking on the lump that had formed in my throat suddenly. The closer we get to 6:45, the more empty I feel. I've spent every day with Alex ever since we moved in together after high school besides a few nights apart here and there. Even those were torture, regardless of how much fun I was having. Nothing feels right without Alex.

"Hey, we have FaceTime," he offers weakly. He knows just as well as I do that while FaceTime is great, nothing will be able to make up for the miles between us. I take in a shaky breath, desperately trying not to cry. I knew it would make him feel worse. I know how passionate he is about his career, and I don't want to hinder that.

But, damn, it hurts so bad that he has to leave.

He squeezes me tighter, nestling his face into my messy hair. "Please don't cry, Jacky, or I'll cry, too," he whispers.

With those words, I completely and utterly fall apart.

I almost shock myself with the force of the sob that comes out of me. I guess I was holding it in for far too long. My entire body shakes as I clutch almost desperately onto his shirt, silently begging him not to leave. It's not long before I dampen the front of his shirt, but I can't stop. It hurts. It hurts in a way that can't be fixed.

Alex holds me so close to him that if I were any closer, we'd merge to become the same person. He gently shushes me at first, rubbing one hand up and down my back while the other keeps my head pressed into his chest. It only takes a little under a minute, though, for him to just hold me tight as he also begins to cry. It pains me so much to see him cry, especially when I influenced it. I guess that's how he feels when I cry.

"I swear, one day, I'll never leave your side again. I'm taking you with me next time. I don't care if they turn me down because of it; I'm not leaving without you ever again. I don't even know if I want to go anymore," he starts to ramble.