A New Year's Miracle

Alex's POV:

Today was it, the last day before a whole new set of 365 days began. New Year's Eve. I guess it's special?

I just spent it playing video games with my friend and long-time crush, Jack Barakat. He and I became friends because when I moved here several years ago, Jack's family befriended mine. Jack and I naturally just... grew close.

"You fucker! Stop cheating!" Jack yells.

"Oh, don't be a sore loser," I shoot back, laughing at how into the game he was. It was adorable.

"I'm so gonna kick your ass," he threatens.

"Not unless I kick your ass first," I argue, starting another game, which I win. The cycle repeats until Jack gives up as usual.

He puts the controller down and flops himself face-first onto my bed, me smiling at him because he was just too cute. "It's not fair," he pouts, his voice muffled from my pillow.

I chuckle, turning off my controller before sitting on the bed beside him. "Aww, does poor Jacky need Alex to kiss it better?" I say in a baby voice.

"That would be nice," he says quietly, but loud enough for me to hear. My heart rate picks up as my mind moves a million miles per hour. I don't even know if I heard him right. Did he really just say that? Holy shit- I'm overthinking it. Wait, but maybe-

Jack bursts with laughter, causing me to give him a confused look. "You- your face a-after I said that," he says before laughing again.

Just my luck, he was fucking joking. What did I expect? He looks at me as a friend, nothing more. It'll always be that way. That should be my resolution for the new year- to get it through my head that Jack will never like me.

"Are you okay?" Jack asks, looking at me with concern evident in his gaze.

"Yeah," I say distantly.

"Lex, look," he murmurs, sitting up and putting his hand on my arm. "I know something has been off with you recently. I wish you could just tell me. I'm here for you."

"I like this person, and there's no way she'll ever like me," I reply, purposely making it sound like I liked a girl. I knew Jack was bisexual, but I told him that I was, too.

"Tell me about her," he says softly. It's times like these I'm happy I can lie so well. This way, I can basically describe Jack without him having any idea or even a suspicion.

"She's- everything I could ever want," I state briefly. His head droops and he bites his lip, which I know he does when he's upset. Why is he upset? Does he like me and think I like another person? No, shut UP, brain! "She has beautiful brown hair and deep brown eyes. The kind of eyes you could spend hours looking into and not get tired of it. She has a great sense of humor and can effortlessly make my day ten times better. She's one of my closest friends and she's just- incredible," I finish.

"Alex, you could get any girl you want," he says. "So stop moping about it and text her, or- wait, I have an idea! Basically the entire town is going to see the fireworks tonight, meet her there and tell her and then kiss at midnight!"

"That's so cliché," I reply, laughing.

"Girls love crap like that."

"I really don't think-"

"You're doing it. I'll be right there." His voice breaks, but I brush it off. He has no reason to be upset.

"Thanks, Jack, you're the best," I say, throwing my arms around him. His hugs were the best, and I just wanted to stay safe in his embrace forever. The world is so cruel. You can be so in love with someone, but they view you as a friend.

Then, I realize what I've done. I just agreed to meet a girl tonight, but there is no girl to be met. What do I tell Jack? That she didn't show up?

I'm screwed.

-=+=-

"You boys go find some friends, meet back at the car at 12:45, okay?" my mom says.

"Okay," Jack and I reply in unison. It's 11:53 right now, meaning the new year will be in just seven minutes.

"Where are you meeting this mystery girl?" Jack asks me as we start walking.

"The lake over this way," I say, tugging on his arm to keep him behind me. I was making this up, but I chose a place where people generally don't stand to make it more realistic. Jack knows I can't have confidence in large crowds, even if no one is paying attention to me.

Everyone is over where all the food and drinks are, so the lake is deserted. Plus, it's quite a ways away from the main area.

It was 11:58, and of course, no girl came around. Jack keeps rubbing my back, probably because he was trying to soothe me. Little did he know, I was just nervous because this stupid plan popped into my head where I told him how in love I am and kissed him as the fireworks exploded above our heads.

Now was my moment.

I'm risking it all.

"Jack?" I ask. And so it begins.

"Yeah?" he replies. "I understand if you're upset and want to leave, this must suck for you." He moves his hand to my shoulder and gives it a squeeze.

"Listen, there is no girl. This girl is actually a guy," I start, letting the information sink in.

"You're... not straight?" Jack whispers. Was that hope in his voice?

"No," I say simply. In the distance, people start counting down from thirty, meaning the new year is in thirty seconds.

"I didn't text anyone, I didn't set up to meet anyone tonight. I lied, I'm sorry, I just couldn't tell you the truth."

"Then what was actually wrong earlier?"

"I was telling the truth about that, besides the fact that I was actually talking about a guy."

Ten.

Nine.

Eight.

"Jack?"

"Alex?"

I'm not sure if it's the pressure, or the cheerful chanting in the distance, or the refreshing crispness of the air, or the beautiful boy in front of me, but I suddenly have immense confidence. I press myself against him and bring our foreheads together, taking his face in my cold hands. I move my thumb across his cheek, looking into his eyes as best I can with my blurry vision caused from being that close to him. God, I hope I'm doing the right thing.

Four.

Three.

"The boy is you," I whisper just centimeters from his lips.

Happy New Year!

I slowly- and extremely gently- brush my lips against his, unsure of what to do. I've never kissed anyone before, and I know he hasn't either. Besides, I'm not sure if he even likes me. He doesn't respond, so I'm about to pull away when I feel him press his lips back against mine. The fireworks explode above us, just like a scene from a crappy romance movie. You think it's cliché and stupid until you experience it.

He snakes his arms around my waist, gently at first, but soon he's pressing me closer to him. My hands travel from his face to his neck, pulling him in for more. I don't want this moment to end. This is something I've only ever dreamed about for months.

We break apart for air, still holding each other. I open my mouth to ask why he kissed me back, but the answer was written all over his face. He felt the same.

"I don't think you realize how long I've been in love with you," Jack whispers.

"I don't think you realize how long I've felt the same way," I reply, kissing him again.

"Happy New Year, Jack," I say once we pull apart, nuzzling my head into the crook of his neck.

He leans his head into mine, squeezing me tight. "Happy New Year, Lex."

=====

Happy new year- and decade- everyone! I hope 2020 treats everyone well ❤️