The Light Behind Your Eyes

Was listening to this mcr song and now I'm going to (attempt to) make you sad.

~never let them take the light behind your eyes...~

Alex's POV:

Jack and I had just had a casual date night and are walking home, his fingers intertwined with mine. We make small talk as we walk, passing the familiar buildings of the town that lead us home. I smile to myself- I couldn't ask for a better life.

"Alex?" Jack asks.

"Yes?"

"Can we walk around for a bit? I don't really want to go home yet."

"It's really late, we should probably get home."

"Please?"

I hate how he knew I'd give in to him. "Fine," I groan playfully, watching a smile spread on his face. His eyes light up with happiness. I'd kill to keep that light in his deep drown eyes. He kisses my cheek before squeezing my hand, pulling me down the sidewalk with him. He's such a child, but I love that about him.

We walk for about twenty minutes when I see him start to shake. I sigh, releasing his hand. I proceed to pull my sweatshirt off, pulling it over his head.

"I told you we should've gone home," I say as he slides his arms into the armholes.

"We can go back now," he replies, putting his hand back into mine. I nod, but pull him into a kiss before continuing to walk. As I pull away, I see something flicker in the corner of my vision. I shrug it off- it's dark, so it's probably nothing. I start walking, but I see it again. Jack freezes beside me, notifying me that he saw it, too.

"You saw that, too?" I ask quietly.

"Y-Yeah," he stammers, squeezing my hand tighter.

"Let's get out of here," I insist, walking at a slightly faster pace. He walks beside me, still holding my hand tightly.

"Freeze!" a voice says from behind us.

Shit.

We slowly turn around, seeing two people dressed in full black. This won't turn out good. Our hands stay clasped together, like if we were to let go, we'd lose each other. I'm terrified myself, but I squeeze Jack's hand reassuringly.

"Give us all your money!" one of them says, pointing a gun at us. Neither of us have money with us, as our date hadn't included needing money.

"We don't have any," I say with as much confidence as I could muster.

"They're lying," the second one says, the gun clicking. It's at this moment I realize that one of both of us could die. They slowly approach us, the guns pointed toward us.

"Jack, listen to me," I whisper.

"What?"

"When they get close enough, I'm running at them. You're going to run away as fast as you can, and don't look back."

"But Alex!"

"Jack, I need you to stay safe. I love you."

"I'm not going to do it!"

"Yes you are," I say quickly before breaking my hand from his. I quickly push the two of them to the ground as they had now gotten close enough, one of them dropping their weapon. Jack stays glued to the spot.

"Run, Jack! Get out of here!" I yell. With that, he starts running.

That was the last time I ever saw the love of my life.

I scramble to pick up the gun that was dropped, but fail to reach it as my leg is grabbed and I tumble to the ground. Both of them spring to their feet, the one without a weapon picking me up by the front of my shirt. He slams me back onto the concrete, a yelp of pain escaping me.

A gun is pressed into my head as I'm lifted up again, my back slammed against a brick building. I'm about to die, but the only thing I could think about was Jack. I could only pray he was okay and made it home. He wasn't home yet, of course, but I pray that he'll make it home.

"Tell us where your little boyfriend is," the one with the gun spits.

"Never," I say through gritted teeth. The gun clicks, my heart rate accelerating.

"You have a death wish?" the second one says, pulling me from the wall and slamming me back into it.

"If it meant protecting him, yes," I reply simply. They laugh, but I mean it. It's better me than him. His safety was always my first priority.

Make it home, Jack.

I'll never let them take the light behind your eyes.

A gunshot echoes through the night air.