Chapter 23 - Liar

SKEPPY POV

I picked up the phone right away and almost dropped it out of nervousness. The caller ID let me know the hospital was on the line. About Y/n.

I tapped the answer button on the screen and held it to my ear, shaking.

Please oh please oh please oh please--

"Hello, is this Y/n's boyfriend?"

"This is him, yes. Is she okay?"

"Yes. She's out of surgery now sir, and in a recovery room on the third floor. You can come up and see her, if you'd like."

I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. Relief flooded through my body and my mind cleared.

Thank everything.

"She is? Oh thank everything. I'll be right up, tell her I'm coming right away!"

I hung up the call and practically sprinted to the elevator. I hit the button for the third floor and tapped my foot impatiently.

This thing goes so slowly ughhh.

The elephant, I mean elevator, finally reached the third floor. I ran up to the desk.

"Hey, I'm here to see Y/n? She's my girlfriend."

"Of course." The nurse smiled sweetly. "She's right over there, in room 321."
She gestured to a room slightly down the hall. I nodded in thanks and skipped over to the sliding glass entrance.

Y/n grinned bigger than I had ever seen before as I engulfed her in a gentle hug. "You're okay!"

"Of course I am, silly. You really think I'd leave you in this shitty world all by yourself? No way. Never. Not happening."

"Oh so that's how it works, you get to decide whether to die or not?" I question, teasing her already.

She thinks for a moment and then nods. "I guess you could say that."

"Well I'm glad you chose to stay then. But, I'm never leaving you alone again. I can't trust anything! It was stupid of me to let you drive all the way back home by yourself. It happened so close to my apartment and it's all my fault! I'm so sorry. Don't worry though. I'm gonna protect you!"

"From what? Car accidents?"

"Uh..yeah! And everything else too."

"Mhmm. How are you gonna do that exactly? There's no way we can be together every second of the day. Plus, you're practically a child yourself." She giggles.

"I am not a child. And if you're saying that because of my height, I would just like to say I'm not even short! I'm average height. Meanie." I fake pout, taking a seat on the edge of the hospital bed.

Y/n smiles and kisses me on the cheek and my face reddens slightly.

"Whatever you say." She turns away. "Cough cough short cough cough."

"You can't just say cough. It doesn't work like that!"

She doubles over, laughing hysterically.

"Careful! You'll hurt yourself. Annnnyways, when can we get out of this place? It's so cramped and sad," I ask, looking around the dull room.

"The nurse said in a few days." Y/n tells me, catching her breath. "And then I'll be on crutches for a while."

"A few days?" I groan dramatically. "That's sooo long. Maybe I can change their minds. Hold on." I hop back over to the desk where the nurse from before is working.

"Hey, is there any way she could get out of here any sooner? We both have....work to get back to and this place is pretty expensive to stay at over night. And my apartment is super close."

Only she has work to get back to, but it's more convincing if I talk about myself too. I think. Right?

I hear a really loud laugh from Y/n's room.

She must be watching something on her phone that was really funny I guess. She doesn't even laugh that loud at me. Or maybe it's one of my videos! That would be cool.

The nurse waves a hand in front of my face. "Sir. SIR. Hello?"

"What? Sorry I zoned out."

"I could tell. I was saying that you can take her home today IF she goes straight into bed once she gets there. And no walking for two days, then crutches for a couple months. Does that help with your jobs?"

"Yes ma'am! Thank you so much."

Yayyy I'm excited to sleeeeep!!!

I head back to Y/n's room to give her the good news. But she's already getting ready to leave.

"Y/n? Where are you going?"

"Home? Like the nurse said?"

"Wait how did you...hear us? It's kinda far away..."

"I dunno! You're a loud talker I guess." She breaks eye contact and looks around the room, fidgeting with her hands. "Get my stuff off that table will ya? Thanks."

Strange. It's almost like she's lying.