𝓣𝔀𝓸♡

Friday 4th June 1959 

John's pov

"hello?"  his voice echoed through the deserted shop as he scanned over the top of the bookshelves searching for anyone at all. as his voice disappeared from the word a boy with beautiful raven hair probably not much younger than himself appeared from around the corner of one of the shelves. his breath hitched slightly in his throat. a boy like him was the last person he would've ever expected to see this late on a night working inside a tiny book shop.  his eyes darted around him but never met his eyes, he knew he was nervous but perhaps because he did just barge into this shop making commotion he probably didn't expect.  "uh.. hello. sorry to keep you waiting i really didn't expect to see any customers this late" he said quietly.  "you're probably in the wrong business if you think having an open sign on the door won't attract customers," he replied sarcastically frowning slightly at his silly words. He finally met his eye, ever so slightly furrowing his eyebrows clearly not pleased with his tone. he plastered quite the fake smile on as he continued,  "well then how can i help you? if you're here just to make snarky comments i suggest you come back tomorrow when i won't be working?"  john cleared his throat and replied quickly, "no, no. i'm actually looking for some art history books, i don't have any specifics i just need some, the ones about Van Gogh or Picasso y'know?" his tone replaced with desperation. he had an assignment due on the following monday for his art class and had yet to complete it. this was his last chance to get the resources. although he was on summer break his tutor had given him one more opportunity to bring in the assignment.  all nervousness from before completely disappeared confirming he wasn't nervous around him, just the loud noises he'd made, with his reply, "i wouldn't pin you for the art type of guy". he walked over to a shelf with a history plaque on top indicating the genres to customers.  "no one does. what type of guy do you pin me for then? let me guess, drugs? no no, sex? you just pinned me as trouble didn't you?" he replied matter of factly as if he'd heard it all before. which he did. he'd already visited 3 libraries before finding this shop, in which he'd been blatantly refused help because they knew 'his type' or just not let in at all, all because of his appearance. it made him sad, really sad because nobody knew him truly. of course he never showed that, he would just swear and shout all profanities probably not helping his situation ever.  "well no. i pinned you more for the music type of guy. you know, your leather jacket and Elvis hair screams rock and roll." he considered his words for a moment as he pulled out books and put them back still trying to find the books he wanted, then continued, "well actually i suppose yes to the sex then, you know what they say, rock and roll is the sound of sex" he smirked lightly.  john smiled to himself. that wasn't an answer he'd expected but he was spot on. he himself had a band called The Quarrymen, nothing serious - a hobby. he loved art and literature, wanting himself to be some kind of artist or published author in the future. he struggled endlessly with college but he made it work, often coming out top of the class in assignments and pieces of work.  "well i can't say you're wrong. i actually have a band, we perform in pubs across town you might've seen us at some point".  his eyes diverted from the shelf and looked at him up and down as if assessing him to see if he could recollect any memories of seeing him. he shook his head slowly, "i don't often go to pubs but i enjoy music, a lot actually, so if you were any good, i probably would've seen you by now" keeping the smirk, as he pulled out a thick book and handing it to john. walking past him to were he was previously sitting, he picked up the piles of books around him and placed them on random surrounding shelves hoping his dad wouldn't notice. he held onto wuthering heights and took it to the counter with him.  john was impressed with his confidence around him, as much as he doesn't want to float his own boat, girls often swooned merely at eye contact. he could get any girl or guy... he wanted, then he'd just drop them. it's the way he liked it. no strings attached, no hurt feelings, on his part anyway. he knows he's selfish for this but he has to protect himself.  he interrupted his thoughts by saying, "can i help you with anything else?" looking directly into his eyes, he was afraid he'd be able to see right into his thoughts. he took this moment to take in his beauty. quite breathtaking really, in a way where he probably didn't even realise the extent of it. he had light brown eyes that speckled, they were big and bright too. making himself all the more nervous. why was he being like this? he had thick beautiful shiny raven hair. freckles flew across his cheeks ever so faintly. john had never seen beauty like this before. maybe because all he ever did was notice their eagerness to get into his pants. he scolded himself for even thinking about this in front of him like this, worrying that even if he couldn't hear his thoughts, he'd corrupt her his eyes were mesmerising.  no john stop it you silly boy  he thought.  stop thinking like this  "hello?" the boy waved his hand in front of his face startling him a little.  "oh. um sorry. got a bit lost in thought there. that's all thanks" he smiled a little, gratefully. he gave him an amount and as he waited for his change he noticed wuthering heights sitting in front of him.  "i wouldn't read books like that if i were you", he said plainly,  "and why's that mr rock n roll" he said challenging him.  "it'll give you all kinds of fucked up versions of love. you can't be going round thinking love is like that. it's bullshit and not worth the heartache"  without giving him time to reply he walked to the exit, then turned around - against his self conscience's wishes - and said, "The Quarrymen, that's my band, you should come see us sometime, we wouldn't disappoint."  with that, he turned and left the shop. completely bewildered with his own behaviour.
——————————-——————————
Hey! They finally met yayayyya
Plz tell me what you guys think (: