Friends

For all the hiccups and tension, Tommy being in his room wasn't a suicide mission after all.

They played games on Summer's Ps4, which Tommy had some strong opinions about, and then when Tommy noticed Summer's bookshelf he just pointed, and looked at Summer with a look that said, 'what's this?'

"What? Are you surprised that I read?" Summer teased, dropping his controller and crossing his arms.

"No, just surprised that you have so many. It's impressive." Tommy replied. He liked most of the books on the shelves, and that was something he was content about.

Summer picked up his controller again. Now that Tommy knows he read, would he look at him differently? Would it be a good different?

But what is good different?

Summer wanted Tommy to like him so badly, he felt like ripping his hair out. He thought that maybe crushing each one of your teeth without any medication would hurt less than knowing and yet still developing a crush on somebody.

There was a silence for a while, when the game was at a point where it wasn't at all provoking. That was when Tommy thought about how close Summer really was.

Like, so close.

They were sitting on the floor, their thighs touching. And maybe this wasn't anything to Summer, maybe he was like this to everyone. Summer was nice, he had friends.

Tommy couldn't help but feel a pang in his chest at that. The fact that Summer asked him to hang out, asked only him, made his mouth taste sweeter.

The smooth controller was quickly starting to feel slippy in his hands, Tommy shifted so that their thighs weren't touching anymore and his heart rate wasn't increasing in speed anymore.

It made Summer frown.

"Oh my fucking god, help me!" Summer exclaimed in panic, suddenly jumping up to his knees on the floor, making Tommy almost have a heart attack. On high alert, face flushing from thinking of things that Summer would definitely find weird, Tommy did as Summer asked.

Giggling and chuckling at Summer's eyebrows and staring at his pouting lips for a little too long when the tv screen flashed red the words 'you are defeated' reminding them of their impending doom.

At least they felt like it was.

Summer lied down on the floor, hands crossing underneath his head. Tommy thought that the sun on his face was meant to be there, it was meant to temporarily blind him so Tommy could stare.

They've moved away from each other now, silent up until Summer sighed.

"You know what I think is dumb?" Summer whispered. Opening one of his blue eyes to steal a look.

"What?" Tommy asked, fidgeting in his place on the floor. Tommy's eyes wouldn't seem to even think about moving away from Summer's freckles. He had so many.

Summer looked at the ceiling, covering his eyes with a hand.

"Everything. Everything is fucking stupid." Summer said with a forced laugh.

"I used to be on the rugby team, you know?" Summer started. Tommy kept looking, focused on his words.

"People thought that I was some great leader, that I'd go on to do amazing things, and yet," Summer paused, bringing his other hand to his face, "here I am, playing video games with someone I just met and feeling the happiest I've been in a long time."

Tommy smiled.

"You will do amazing things, Summer," Tommy replied, "and you'll be happy whilst you're doing so, now."

That made Summer sit up to look at Tommy. Summer's eyebrows were furrowed, but he didn't want to cry - it's too early for crying.

Tommy opened his arms, smiling at his new friend, and leaned in to hug him.

Summer was confused. He hadn't hugged anyone in so long, not even Nick or his mum. When Summer felt Tommy's small hands lay upon his back he knew it would be alright to do the same.

So Summer squeezed Tommy tight, scared that it would be the last touch from him he would receive for a while. He wanted it to last forever.

And Tommy squeezed back.

_

"What do you wan' be? Like properly?" Summer asked Tommy when they were stuffing their faces with the snacks Summer bought.

Tommy finished his mouthful, and looked up at Summer with a glare.

"You sound like my dad." Tommy murmered, leaning forward for another brownie.

"Tell me!" Summer exclaimed, dragging on the 'ee', sounding just like a child begging for sweets.

"I'll tell you what I wanna be," bashfully looking down at Tommy, bringing his jaw in, eyes as wide as a puppy dog.

"Tell me your one first." Tommy made a deal with Summer, bringing his hand out, pretending to spit on it, laughing.

Summer looked at his hand calculatingly. "You know what," Summer leaned back, checking the time on the clock on his wall. 4:06.

"Let's go on the trampoline!" Summer shouted. His mum wasn't home, they could do whatever they wanted. He grabbed Tommy's hand and pulled, dragging him to downstairs.

Tommy's heart had a malfunction. His sleeves ran up, he didn't know if Summer saw.

His eyes checked up to see and Summer was facing away, he took Summer's hand with his own other one, rapidly pulling the sleeve down. He took a breath.

His cheeks felt hot and there was pain in his stomach, but it was fine, Summer didn't see anything, everything was okay.

Once they had their shoes on and stepped outside, Tommy was grateful for the rush of cool air blowing on his face. Summer had a smile on his face, looking back at Tommy to see if he was as exited as he was.

When he didn't see brown eyes looking back at him he paused, and let go of Tommy's hand. Maybe holding his hand was a bit too much.

But he wanted to hold his hand.

"Look at this bitch, I mean!" Summer gestured to his massive trampoline in his enormous garden.

Tommy loved it. Summer must've had so much space to run around in as a kid.

"WOAH, your garden in massive." Tommy gasped when he saw it.

Summer had the most wonderful garden. Full of swings and toys. A tiny shed, and a bunch of rusting bikes, floweres everywhere. Not to mention the huge trampoline.

"Thanks," Summer gave Tommy a raised eyebrow. "Wanna see somethin' else thats massive?"

Tommy paused. He didnt realise just how disgusting Summer could be. He laughed, but it was still nasty, and it made him have a weird feeling that made his throat close up and cheeks burn.

Tommy turned around and punched Summer in the arm as hard as he could, shouted nasty! And ran as fast as his little legs could carry him to the trampoline.

Even though he was howling, both in pain and laughter, Summer stared at his friend. Clutching his arm he walked to catch up with him, and decided that he was quite possibly the most georgeous person in the world.