Six

Rowan

Emilie's question bounced around in my head as we sat awkwardly in her parents' livingroom, waiting for her father to join the joy filled conversation around us.

I was so dead.

I had met Mark and Emilie's parents twice, once when Mark moved in to the house, and the second time when I escorted Emilie to the wedding. I wasn't looking forward to this meeting at all. Firstly, Emilie was Paul and Sarah's youngest daughter, therefore, their baby girl. Secondly, while Emilie took after her mother and was five foot nothing and fairly small, Paul stood at about six foot one and was wondrously in shape for his age. I had no doubt about the fact that he could easily over power me. Lastly and most importantly, Paul owned plenty of land and was currently building a small man made lake, which meant, he had a backhoe and knew how to operate it.

        "Emilie Catherine Johnston, you've got a lot to explain to me, young lady." Her father's voice boomed, causing her to jump and squeeze my hand tightly. While I was filled with a mild amount of fear, one thing I wasn't going to allow to happen was for the blame to be put on Emilie. I looked over at her, admiring the brave look in her eye.

        "Daddy," She mumbled, standing as Paul Johnston entered the room, holding a gleaming shotgun in his arms, traces of angry tears streaking down his weathered face. To say I'd never been more fearful in my life was an understatement. Nothing was more dangerous than a man protecting his child.

        "Tell me your brother is being an ass and overreacting to the fact that you've had sex. Tell me you're not pregnant, baby girl." His voice was hoarse cracking with emotion, tears building in his eyes again. I knew once he finally noticed me, his sadness would disappear and his anger would finally surface.

        "Daddy, I'm so sorry. I-" a sniffle broke her words and my heart throbbed in my chest, knocking the air out of me. Without a though, I pulled her to me, burying my face in her hair and began to murmur words of comfort softly. If Paul didn't like me and wanted to choke me, it could wait until Emilie had finally calmed down. She shook with the force of her tears and I was a bit helpless. I didn't want her to cry or hurt, but she was doing both and it was breaking my heart.

        The sound of the gun cocking had my blood freezing in my veins and Emilie tensing in my arms. In an instant I was pushing her small body behind me as we stood, making sure that I covered her, then thought against it. With a worried glance toward her red faced father, I pulled her back into me, kissed her softly on the forehead before whispering for her to go to her mother. I could tell she was hesitant, but at the moment, it didn't matter, she needed to be comforted while I manned up and faced her father.

        "Mr. Johnston, I-" I began only to hear a loud grunt from the man wielding the gun. I smartly shut my mouth and waited, not backing down from his hard stare.

        "We're gonna make somethin' real clear, pecker-wood. The only thing I want to be hearin' from you right now, is how you're planin' to take care of my baby and grand baby." I swallowed but nodded and proceeded to tell him exactly what he wanted to hear.

        "Sir, I fully intend to find a place where we can live together to take care of the baby. I have a job already, but it won't be enough, and I've already promised Emilie that I will get a new one where she can do school and stay home and not have to worry. I will be honest and truthful with her, I will be faithful, even if she doesn't want to try to be together. I will support her emotionally. I will be a good partner and father. I know this sounds like a bunch of bull sh-crap, but I'm being truthful. I'm sure you will worry about her, but I'm going to try my hardest to make it to where you know she's taken care of. I will do whatever I need to to prove to all of you that I am worthy of this, even if it doesn't seem like it now." 

My heart was beating furiously in my chest and I couldn't help but worry, especially with the business end of that gun pointed strait at me. I was doing everything in my power to keep him from shooting me, but I wasn't going to kiss his ass in order to save my own. I just needed the Johnstons to understand that I wasn't going to up and disappear on them, leaving Emilie to deal with this on her own. The baby isn't just her responsibility and I wasn't going to let her take all the weight of it.

After a few moments of silence and a heavy sigh from Mr. Johnston, he lowered the barrel of the gun and scratched his salt and pepper beard. He looked at Mark for a moment, then at Mrs. Johnston, who was gripping a now red eyed Emile in her arms. They all nodded at one point or another then looked up at me, grim expressions on their faces, as if they had all come to a unanimous decision.

        "Em, go stand with Rowan, baby." Without a complaint she walked to me and I instantly pulled her to me, not caring about the fact that we weren't a couple or even friends, or that Paul still had his gun. More silence filled the room, nearly suffocating us.

        "Well, I guess there is only one option left for you two." Her father said, his knuckles turning white. His eyes started to mist over again and an uncomfortable lump settled in my throat. He looked like it pained him to force the next words out of his mouth and I knew instantly, it was something that was going to cause a problem with someone.

        "What is that, Daddy?" Emilie whispered, gripping tightly to the shirt on my chest.

        "Y'all are gettin' married."

Mr. J's reaction is pretty much how my Daddy would react, so it isn't so impossible. Well, other than the fact that my Daddy would actually shoot the guy who knocked me up. Papa Bear doens't play when it comes to his girls.