The Big Move

Sal and I drove home in the backseat of our dad's car. The two of us sat by the window with the seat in the middle of us empty. "Daddy, do you think Mommy will recognize us with our new faces?" Sal asked and Dad mumbled something under his breath. "We decided to choose pink because it's Mommy's favorite color. I hope she'll like it." And that's when Dad snapped. "She isn't gonna ever see it because she's dead, you guys! She died because of you two! The dog should've killed you...not her..." Sal and I looked at each other, then we put on our prosthetics and drove the rest of the ride home in silence.

~~~

"Scar...Scarlett...Scar-Face!" I shook my head and watched a strand of my short electric blue hair fell in front of my eyes. I was standing by the front door with my older brother. "Yes, Sally Face?" Sal, my twin brother, rolled his eyes and shook his head at me, his blue ponytails shaking from side to side. "You coming or not?" I raised an eyebrow and slipped into my pair of black sneakers,"Where are we going again?" "We're going to go explore these apartments. I'll race ya!" Sal ran out the apartment. "Hey, no fair!" I called after him as I followed him out.

~~~

  Sometime later, Sal and I were riding the elevator down to the basement to go meet Larry. Sal takes off his prosthetic and holds it in his hand,"You don't pay attention." I took off my prosthetic too. Our prosthetic's are the opposite of each other, his was all white with a patch of light pink on the right side and mine is light pink with a patch of white on the left side. "Ok and?" I asked. "So, I want to know how much you remember about who we've met today." I crossed my arms,"You're on, Sally Face."

"Go ahead." I took a deep breath,"Um...Mrs. Sanderson lived in 403 and was apparently murdered.  Charley lives in 204 and he collects things like Glitter Ponies. I think it was glitter ponies...Anyway. Mr. Addison lives in 103. He talks through the mail slot on his door which is kind of weird. Mrs. Gibson lives in 101 and seems to hate kids but she shouldn't worry because I'm pretty sure they hate her too," Sal laughed at that and I laughed a little and shook my head,"then Lisa works here and lives in the basement with her son Larry. Oh! And the fifth floor is being renovated."

"Huh. You remembered more than I thought." Sal and I put on our prosthetics as the elevator doors opened. We walked out the elevator and started to look around the basement. "That's the thing Sally Face. Nobody thinks I'm paying attention but I really am." Sal opened the door to Larry and Lisa's place and we walked in. Sal and I immediately walked into the kitchen to see a black ghostly figure with glowing red eyes. Sal and I jumped back as it disappeared. "What was that?" I asked. "No idea," Sal responded as the two of us went to meet our first new friend.