Chapter 70: I Am Found

This must be the most awkward moment of his life and he was sure no other moment in the future will replace the memory. Princess Maria III babbled and went through on and on about every little detail about what she liked about her current visit in Arendelle so far and Aiden stopped the urge to roll his eyes. Foreign leaders arrived maybe just a few hours ago and he was sure none of them had explored around due to heavy long sailing.

He knows, alright. He knows she's just trying to hold on to his good graces and pretending his wife's invisible whenever the mentioned one is around. If someone offends his wife, that also meant they offend him.

He just kept nodding and falsely smiling throughout her rants, brushing away a stray lock of his hair falling limp on his forehead.

Their dance earlier, in his opinion, is very dull and it lacked energy. He had expected it from the very moment Maria offered, though. Enchantment doesn't show itself whenever his wife is not his dance partner.

He felt another hand intertwine with his own, his green eyes meeting his wife's blue ones. She linked her arm  around his own, maybe a bit too tightly.

He caught Anna's mischievous gaze, just right behind Elsa. He was so sure he saw the ice queen blanket her wine glass with frost earlier, also a glimpse of those perfect pursed lips and adorable irritated expression.

He suddenly felt a cool, windy itch coming from his neck. He was, thankfully, quick enough to catch the second Elsa retreat her lips from his collar.

He fought the urge to scratch it, but ended up doing so. He carefully scratched his neck to not ruin the perfectly shaped lipstick smear that is painted against his skin.

"King Aiden, is that what I think it is, if I'm not m-mistaken?" Maria gasped dramatically, eyeing the smear with a very flabbergasted expression.

He just wanted to grin so much that his cheeks would hurt once he heard the melodious, soft laughter of Elsa who answered her question, pressing a satin finger gently on Aiden's lips, "I'm responsible for that stain, my deepest apologies, Princess Maria. I just couldn't resist marking my territory."
____________________________________

"You didn't seem like you enjoyed yourself earlier out there," Said Aiden from the changing screen, his hand undoing his buttons, "I hope Maria didn't... Stress you too much."

"Oh, don't worry, lover. She didn't," Elsa smirked, changing into her nightgown, "She just needed to remember what's mine and what's not hers, that's all."

The fire king laughed heartily, now donning his sleeveless shirt and his pair of pajamas. "I swear, you being so possessive of anything or anyone is just so amusing to watch. I just love the fact you're so sassy when it comes to those things."

While he waited for a reply, his wife just smiled simply and walked gracefully away from their bedroom to the sliding doors then entering the balcony area, her freely flowing hair swinging gently because of her nightly visitor Gale.

That's strange.

Aiden followed after her steps, sitting on a bench just behind her. He stood up from his seat and trailed his fingertips down her smooth, soft platinum blonde hair, brushing his lips against her head, "Is something the matter?" He silently asked, wanting to maintain the peaceful atmosphere.

"No, love. Nothing's wrong," Elsa chuckled, facing him, "That's just it. I'm just so... Overwhelmed and happy, at the same time. I barely have the time to speak out my real thoughts because of our duties, but I wish to let them out, now."

Just the right time.

He enveloped her in his arms; bringing himself to a dimension of fluffy Northuldran blankets and sweet, succulent strawberry scented perfume.

"May I ask why?" Aiden gingerly spoke, caressing her cheek.

Elsa held the hand that caressed her skin lightly, then slowly folded her arms against her body as if she was hugging herself. She broke away from his eyes and looked forward to the scenic view of Arendelle, her striking orbs that consisted the color of pure, rigid ice moving from the villages to the breathtaking sight of the fjord.

"You... You always do that."

"Do what?" Elsa smiled.

"Hug yourself. You always hug yourself. I've seen you do the action numerous times, and I believe there must be something behind it."

"Well... It does have its transformation. From time to time."

"Can you please tell me the story about it?"

"Um... I don't know.. It might come out not clear.."

"I'm all ears, darling. I'm all ears."

There he was; sitting patiently on the bench with his hands on his lap—bringing her face close to his own, her stare drifting slowly from his lips to the bridge of his nose, then finally locking on his eyes.

He watched those beautifully shaped cherry lips curl up into one of the most angelic smiles he's ever seen—

Because it reached her eyes so perfectly.

"It's currently a habit of mine, but it used to be something I've done for myself, out of comfort."

"Ah.. I see. I understand."

"It... It wasn't just that.. I used to be so fearful of physical contact with anybody.. Anyone, in particular. I used to have no options—no choices. I always have one thing to do, and that's it.

"Everytime Anna knocks on that door, I did my best to prevent shedding cold tears. Everytime I touch anything without control, I did my best to not hug my knees and cry myself to sleep. Everyday waking up, feeling so D-dangerous.. So a-afraid of touching a-anyone.."

Aiden felt his heart swell madly; her cracked voice sending chills down his spine, "... so I just did what I have to do."

Mask.

Hide.

Comfort yourself.

Because no one else will get to.

"Oh, Elsa..." Aiden sighed, bringing his thumb towards her cheek and swiping away her tears, "... I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I asked."

"No, no. It's okay. It's.. It's my fault, entirely. It was all me. I was the one that didn't allow myself to have options—I couldn't let anybody in back then."

"You just did the next right thing, love. And for that, I'm so proud of you. You came from such a long, endless way... If that was me I could've.. I could've lost hope already. I lost hope for the past fifteen years of my life and it scarred me, so much. You.."

Elsa blushed, looking away to hide it since she knew already he's going to praise her. Aiden shook his head slyly and lifted her chin so she could face him properly, eliciting a sound less gasp from her mouth.

"I cannot even see the fearful girl inside you anymore. I see something else."

Elsa hiccups from an overdose of sobs and tears, letting him brush his nose against her own lightly while her fingers dug through the forest of his black locks.

"What do you see in me, then?" She whispered, her cold breath tingling his warm skin.

While he didn't mind how she massaged his scalp, he tried to be careful to maintain their current place and tapped her nose with a finger.

"I see the girl who found herself."