Plowing Through Bad Writer's Block

Well hello hello, welcome back to the show. I was gone for quite some time, BUT I'm back and better than ever now. Don't fret my friends, I've still got plenty of knowledge to share. 

With that being said, because I've been asked about it so often lately, I figured that I would finally do an entire chapter on conquering writer's block. Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely no proven way to actually get around this phenomenon. But as long as I've been on Wattpad and as many times as I've gone through it, I believe that I have quite a few tips and tricks that could get anybody out of a writing rut. 

The absolute key to avoiding writer's block is to NOT avoid writing. You'd think it'd be common sense by now to constantly keep those juices pouring, but some people just let their writing run dry as soon as they're out of ideas. As a writer, you should never run out of ideas. Writing just to write is almost always the solution to writer's block. There genuinely aren't any bad ideas. There is such thing as getting into a creative flow. Once you've been writing for so long it almost becomes second nature. 

I just went almost ten months without posting a single chapter. And although that does have to do with the fact that I have a very busy schedule, it really hindered me when I tried to come back and continue writing my stories. I probably could have posted this chapter about a month ago if I'd been able to find the time to actually sit down and write. But I had no idea where to start at that point. I hadn't written in so long that it almost kind of felt like I'd completely lost my voice. When I actually sat down and forced myself to write I slowly but surely picked up speed, and everything else just seemed to flow from there on out. 

One of the best techniques to avoid writer's block, one that I've been doing for years, is to keep a journal and write at least three new story ideas a day. Whether or not that's coming up with three completely new stories or coming up with three new plot points for a current story. When I was younger I would sit in my room in silence for about half an hour and just let my brain soar through of the possibilities that I could let it. And even if none of the ideas you write down are good ones at least you're giving yourself space to expand your horizons. If you have an endless onslaught of ideas, why not use them?

Now don't get me wrong, obviously I know that there are some EXTREME cases of writer's block that simply just can't be avoided for a little while. There have definitely been times where I've simply had to bullshit a chapter just so that I could get into the next one. Those, of course, are usually going to be our 'filler' chapters. Every book has filler, it's damn near unavoidable.  I don't know if you guys have really noticed yet or not, but writer's block could be linked to a lot of filler chapters. Sometimes you just have to get all of the boring stuff out before the good stuff decides to make an appearance. It's a win-lose game depending on how you play it.       

Now, I've talked about avoiding cliches in the past. I don't know how many of you actually listened to me about it, but it was definitely brought up. Avoiding cliches, at least from what I've found, can often help avoid sudden cases of writer's block altogether. If you're constantly using unoriginal ideas then how do you expect to ever come up with your own? If you can't think for yourself, then you can't write for yourself. 

I feel like I'm coming off very blunt in this chapter. 

At the end of it all, writer's block is ultimately as attainable as you make it. If you're constantly writing on a daily basis, you shouldn't be experiencing writer's block on a daily basis. You might experience it from time to time, but definitely not as much as someone who writes once every millennium. I am constantly saying and will continue to constantly say that writing takes practice. You don't just write a hit over night. Writing can be a very thrilling and delicate adventure if you work towards it. 

Some people just aren't willing to put in the work. 

That is all that I have for you guys this time around. Expect to see me much more in the future. I've conquered my writing slump, so can all of you. It just takes time, effort, and a lot of staring off into space. 

See you guys next time and I hope you've had a breezy 2020 so far. Stay writing my little writers. 

Instagram: lilchocolatedonut

Snapchat:momo3625

Book Instagram: lil_chocolate_donut

Radish: momo3625

Inkitt: momo3625

Vote

Comment

Follow 

Fan