Mental Demons...

Narrator's POV

As Tom grew, his strength continued to grow with him.

If Magical Power could be given a number, muggles were at 0, squibs at 10, and the average wizard at 100.

Merlin would sit snugly at 1000, the founders would be at 800, hell even Grindelwald and Dumbledore would sit in the 950's.

But Tom Riddle? 1100.

Yes, he came from the Slytherin family line, which would naturally put him above the average wizard, but decades of incest in his maternal line would put him no higher than 200.

And, one of the few things his father had unknowingly done for him was give freshness to the otherwise stagnant line and would have doubled his strength and put him at 400.

No, it was because Dark Magic itself chose him to be its Lord that he was so strong.

Unfortunately, such magic did come with a cost.

You see, Magic embodies all things in life, everything that is real can be influenced by magic, but magic has no physical body.

The closest it could ever come in to borrow the body of its most skilled adept.

And Tom Marvolo Riddle was by far the most powerful Dark Magic Practitioner in history.

The Dark Lord though, didn't become aware of said cost until he was a man.

***

He was 25 years old and on his twelfth raid with his newly formed Death Eaters when it happens.

Sensing the bloodshed about to occur, the Dark Lord's pupils swallowed up his ruby eyes as Dark Magic possessed him.

When the Dark Lord regained control of his body he looked around what had once been the homes of his targets, seeing that he was completely surrounded by corpses so disfigured they weren't even recognizable as humans, simply piles of guts, shredde...

When the Dark Lord regained control of his body he looked around what had once been the homes of his targets, seeing that he was completely surrounded by corpses so disfigured they weren't even recognizable as humans, simply piles of guts, shredded skin and clothing.

He looked behind him and saw his Death Eaters looking upon him in absolute awe.

Most of them were enthralled by the majesty of his power, others were surely terrified, but there were a few that had fainted.

There was no doubt that the story of tonight would spread and he knew he would soon find himself with plenty of new recruits eager to learn to grasp even a snippet of his power.

Lord Voldemort was startled about how he had been taken over by Dark Magic, completely engulfed by it, but didn't let it show, no, instead he boasted proudly to his followers, telling them magic itself was on their side.

***

Such incidents continued as he aged, he continued to possesses on and off from that day right to the present day at the age of 68.

The only true break he had had was the nine years he had been less than a spirit after having been "defeated" by Ronald Weasley.

He had not been defeated by a boy who was little more than a squib, no, he had simply been caught off guard by a magical shield around said at-the-time infant and had had his physical body destroyed by his rebounding Killing Curse.

But during that 34 year period that he had been dealing with being possessed, he had wondered quite a lot about his choices...and that thought that he might and not had any.

If he thought about it, he had heard Dark Magic's whispers since he was a small boy, it had influenced almost every major decision in his life.

It had been Dark Magic that urged him to kill his childhood roommates.

It had been Dark Magic that urged him to open the Chamber of Secrets and sick the basilisk on the Unclean in Hogwarts and kill Myrtle Warren.

It had been Dark Magic that urged him to kill his father and paternal grandparents.

It had been Dark Magic that urged him to become a Dark Lord and form the Knights of Walpurgis and later the Death Eaters.

And, it was Dark Magic now that was trying to get him to lead Harry down the path of darkness...