Thirteen: Life Without Zachary

Life without Zach is horrible. And I, Eric, should know. I was his brother, guardian, friend.... I was his everything. I love him more than anything. Sorry Emma, but Zach's got you on this one, no offense.

I miss him. I tried cutting, but... It didn't feel right. It brought back too many memories, and.... I can't drive into suicide. Emma needs me, Ma and Pa need me... I can't.

Shelly had texted me, asking me for forgiveness. She thinks it's her fault, but I disagree. It was 'his time', and... I need to respect that. It was God's plan.

Man, I need a chill pill. I took one of Zach's and, well, it tasted NASTY. No wonder Zach hates them...

Emma caught me one day, a few weeks after Zach's pass, taking one.

"ARE YOU CRAZY?!?! YOU COULD DIE, YOU WIERDO!"

She slapped the pills from me. I stared at her. "Fine. You want them?" I flung them at her and stormed off. I was mad. More than that; I was outrageous. I went to my room and locked the doors. I trashed my room. I broke the vase Emma had made me in an art class for glasswork. I threw off all the clothes that I had piled on my dresser from days of wear.

I collapsed in my bed, just ready to give up. I already had, a haunting voice told me. I took out my knife I had in my drawer.

Should I? Should I end it all here?