Ten: Hospitals and Horrors

I watched Zach in his unconscious sleep, Emma crying into my shoulder.

"Eric, what if he's-he's d-dead?"

"No, baby... He's only sleeping." I comforted her by kissing her forehead and stroking her long glossy hair.

---

I woke up to doctors putting in IVs and fluids. They smiled as I opened my eyes. I saw a recognizable face.

"Elaine?" I said. I was still drowsy and tired. My vision was blurry, and I could barely speak. I was weak from blood loss. Elaine smiled at me. Man, what was I doing here? I had commuted suicide!

"Zachary, are you ok?" I heard Eric ask me, rushing over. I reddened. The staff had them leave, for anxiety and stress related issues. The doctors told me I needed to stay the night, and leave in the morning.

---

We drove home. Zach was staying the night, and Eric wanted to go home and call up the church, to form a prayer circle.

"Um... Unusual much?" I teased Eric. He grunted and stared at the road, silent and driving on. I tried to he his hand, but he didn't pay attention. Poor Eric...

When we got home, we went directly to the couch. Eric in the phone, and I watching Duck Dynasty. Man, what will Si do next?

Eric put the phone up. He sighed and put his head in his hands. I looked at him. I reached out my hand to rub his back, but I didn't want to disturb him any more.

"Why me?! Why Zach?!? WHY?!? (Cussing, cussing, and more cussing, followed by WHY, WHY, WHY?!?!?!?!?)"

"Eric!" I said. He was crying and raging mad. I wonder...

"Who was that?"

"The hospital people."

"Oh. Oh, oh no..."

"Yeah. He-he's... Zachary Markus Lee Harper-Smith has died, 9:54 PM, on April 5th, 2013. He was thirteen."