Chapter 15

Day 43

            “You’re going to die when you hear this,” Avery said, storming into Beach Brew on a hot Friday afternoon.

            Courtney and I looked up from our chores. I asked, “What?”

            “Kyle invited Dan to his house tonight.”

            “Shut the fuck up,” Courtney deadpanned. “I’m seriously going to kill him. I told him that Dan isn’t invited to anything that you’re going to.”

            “Kyle said Dan is his best friend, so basically he’s choosing him over me,” Avery said with a sigh, sitting at the counter.

            “I’m going to call him right now,” Courtney said, taking out her phone.

            “Please don’t,” Avery countered. “I already talked to Kyle about it. He said he doesn’t want to pick sides, but at the end of the day he knew Dan before me. And I understand. I just don’t know what to do now.”

            “Well then we won’t go,” Courtney huffed simply.

             “Like I’m going to make all of us miss one of Kyle’s big keggers,” Avery said with a pointed look. “It’s supposed to be a lot of fun tonight. Y’all should go.”

            “Fuck that,” Courtney said.

            “Well,” I offered. “You’re probably going to hate this idea but what if you were to go? I mean, I know you’d have to see Dan, but then you could at least prove to him that his shitty ways aren’t going to be tolerated by you. Plus, you have all of us. That’s a shit ton of people right there to support you,” I said.

            Avery thought about this for a moment. “You’re right. I’m not going to let him ruin my social life. He’s already ruined enough.”

            “Hell yeah,” I cheered.

            “So, Kyle’s tonight?” Courtney asked.

            “Let’s do it, bitches,” Avery replied with a determined look on her face.

~ ~ ~ 

            Michelle, Avery, Lucy, Courtney and I got ready at Courtney’s house. The goal was to make sure that Avery looked hot. I did her makeup and Lucy picked out her outfit. We definitely did good.

            In fact, all of us looked good.

            I went edgier tonight, wearing a fitted black dress that whisked a little around my knees and a dark wash jean jacket. My hair was straightened and I had on a grey smoky eye. I don’t think I had ever felt so beautiful in my entire life. Courtney drove us all to Kyle’s, seeing as she was probably going to sleep there anyway. By the time we got there, the house was packed and it was only nine thirty.

            “Damn,” Michelle said as we climbed the stairs. “This is crazy.”

            Avery grabbed onto my hand and I looked at her. Fear was written all over her face and even though she looked beyond hot—crop top and tight dark wash skinny jeans, perfectly curled hair and sparkly brown eye shadow making her blues eyes pop—she was already begging to leave.

            “Come on,” I told her and whisked her onto the deck full of people. “Let’s get you a drink.”

            We made our way into the kitchen and I watched as lots of guys turned to watch us. Michelle was leading the way, confident as always. Lucy had disappeared the second we passed by a group of people. As always, Lucy knew everyone, no matter where we were, no matter what the circumstances. Courtney was on Michelle’s heels, looking around anxiously to find Kyle. Michelle was quickly stopped by a group of guys who she knew—I assumed from high school—but Courtney continued through the crowd to the sliding glass door, Avery and I in tow.