Don't Forget Me

I can't forget this, the day is June 5th Promotion for us 8th graders. A good day apparently but also stressful, the ceremony is soon and after this, it is summer vacation. I was waiting in a classroom with my friends and I thought, after this its high school, but will everything go well? I don't know so I took a look at all three of them and I smiled, my teacher Mrs. LeGaspe came over and asked me why I look down.

"So what's up bud?" She asked

"I don't know, everything feels surreal to me," I said

"Don't worry after all this you'll be with your family and live on with your life"

"Maybe," I said

"You remind me of a student that I had, you both are the same. Always worrying about the future"

"Really, what was his name?"

"It doesn't matter, but what does is that you get ready for this ceremony" She chuckled and walked away

I guess it's true, I worry too much and I'm not laidback. Maybe that's why Isabella didn't pick me, I mean we have the same music taste kind of music kind of... Okay maybe a lot of people don't like surf rock but I guess whatever. I'm Nate I'm shy but I'm outgoing, I'm also hardheaded and do what I think is right for myself and other people but on the other hand, Isabella is kind of the opposite I mean she is outgoing but she also likes to stay inside once and awhile, she likes to watch shows but also likes to shop. I guess we are different she's a bright fun girl and I am an outgoing overthinker, we are total opposites but aren't opposites supposed to attract? But I guess not, I looked over to her she's happy with Alex and that's all that matters. I teared up. That's all that matters...

Mrs.LeGaspe walked the classroom and told us to get ready for the ceremony, everyone got up from their chairs and walked out of the classroom. We all got in line to walk down to the basketball courts where the chairs, and at those seconds every memory of 8th grade hit my mind. As soon as I sat down everything was going through my mind, I looked at Isabella and I couldn't help it, I didn't hear anything. I love Isabella but I couldn't do anything and it hurt, she turned around and smiled at me, I smiled back and turned forward. We got up to get our "diplomas" and then sat back down, it took a while but I couldn't believe it was over. We finished the ceremony and met up with our families. I was with my family who consisted of just my mother and me, but my cousins were there, I was getting sad so I asked if we could leave now. We left the school after we were done taking pictures and saying goodbye, everything felt surreal.

It had been an hour after the ceremony and I was laying in my bed listening to my records but I got a text from Isabella asking if we could hang out later today and instantly said yes. Thirty minutes went by and we met up at the park. I was sitting on a bench and she casually walked up to the bench and sat down.

"What a day huh?" Isabella said

"Yeah, all we have is this summer and then we start High School," I said

"It's crazy, like we're all going to different schools," Isabella said

"I mean it won't be scary, we're going to the same school so maybe it'll be fun?" I said questionably

"You're right it won't be scary, I want to do a lot of things before summer ends. Things I've never done before"

"Yeah me too, I wanna go venture out somewhere fun," I said with a smile

"That sounds nice, I hope you do that with someone," Isabella said while looking down

"Maybe, who knows," I said

She got up and looked a bit mad, she asked to walk around and we did. We walked around the entire park and talked for an hour, we went on the jungle gym and played around like we did when we were kids. It was fun, we went out to the city to go get ice cream then we walked around the shops. It was around 5 now and we both were tired of walking around, we sat down at a bench where the main street is. The sun was going down and we were just sitting there talking and laughing, I touched her hand by accident and I said "I'm sorry" then we looked at each other, smiled, and laughed. Isabella's mom came and we left to go home, she dropped me off and went inside my house, Isabella texted me when I sat on my bed. I read it, she texted "today was fun with you :)" I texted her that it was great and then I knocked out.

I woke up, it was a new day and I heard birds chirping, I got out of bed, brushed my teeth, took a shower, and got dresses. I started to clean around the house while listening to music very loud everything seemed fine but I was alone so then I started to get bored. I finished cleaning and I started to watch TV but it wasn't as interesting so I turned it off after thirty minutes, I started to think of life for a second. Will I end up alone? I thought even more but I blew it off and got up from the couch, I walked over to the door and unlocked it. I locked it and closed it, I started walking throughout the streets while listening to music and thinking about the future. I may be crazy because high school is just starting but I hope I make it somewhere, I walked down some more and I heard someone calling my name but I just didn't bother. Again I heard "NATE!" louder this time and I turned around I noticed someone running up to me, I couldn't tell who it was but then the person got closer. It was my ex.

"Nate I called you twice! Why'd you ignore me?"

"I didn't ignore you, I just didn't hear," I said

"Nate, please hear me out... this might be the last time I see you. But I want to fix things please give me a chance." She said with puppy eyes

"I don't know... everything went downhill and I don't think I can ever forget or forgive, now please leave me alone," I said

I walked away and she grabbed my arm she said "I'm sorry", I told her "Its not the goodbyes that hurt. It's the memories that follow" and walked away.

It kind of hurt to accept it but it just has to be that way sometimes. I tried to walk as far as I could but apart of feeling bad I shrugged it off, I kept walking and I made it to Mountain View High School then I kept walking. I started to think about Isabella and it hurt, I have never felt like this before and it felt weird, I genuinely love her but I can't do anything. At this point I lost where my train of thought went, I felt lonely and disregarded so I turned back to walk back to my house.

Everything for me felt weird I don't know why, am I just discovering myself? I looked up the street and saw nothing the I looked at my phone, the time was 12:15 pm it was a little warm so I got sweaty. Instead of walking home I started to walk to the park, it took me a while to get there and once I did I saw Isabella and Alex together. I tried hard to hide so they wouldn't notice me, I sat down on a bench and I just looked at my phone. I couldn't help but notice Isabella she seemed happy and well, I looked at her and realized that it would not work out. No planning to break them up or anything. I just have to be happy for her as a best friend should. I got up from the table where I was sitting down then I walked away.

Isabella and Alex were having a good time then she stopped to look at him and looked down. Isabella seemed scared and sad, she then looked up at Alex and turned. Alex was confused and tried to make her smile, but she wouldn't budge so she got the courage to look at him.

"Alex, we have to Break up," Isabella said with teary eyes

"What, why?" Alex asked

"I just don't feel this anymore... I like someone else" Isabella said with a tear going down her cheek

"No, please... Come on" Alex said

Isabella walked away from him but that entire she had noticed Nate sitting at a table, the entire time she had tried to get him jealous but it didn't work. Isabella tried to catch up to Nate while walking but her mom picked her up, she got in the car and Isabella told her mom everything. They passed by Nate while he was walking but she couldn't do anything but she kept crying. Isabella got home and texted Nate if he has feelings for someone and he told her that he didn't, Isabella cried even more and had the courage to tell Nate what had happened.

I walked home and I made it, something felt wrong. I got a text from Isabella asking if I liked anyone, I wanted to tell her but I couldn't. I texted her that I don't like anyone, that I was good by myself. She later told me that she broke up with Alex and we had a 1-hour phone call, I made her laugh and smile, as a friend should I did my best. I did my best for her. For most of the summer we hung out and we got closer than we ever did before. We went to the movies, the park, basically everywhere together. It had all felt like dates and then June had ended, we had karaoke nights with our friends and I even got closer to her family, everything felt amazing with her, we were both genuinely happy and nothing could change that. We were doing great and I thought it was the right time but everything flew by and before I knew it. It was over.

The entire summer flew by like nothing and it was scary because right now it is currently August 10th, 7:20 am. I was standing outside the gate of South El Monte high school, scared I walked in ready for a new year.