Chapter 129

"Bucky no!" I hear Steve scream as I reach for anything to grab onto, blinded by fear with my arms flailing around frantically.

Thankfully I feel my metal hand wrap around something and I grab hold of it tightly. I didn't even realise that my eyes were closed but when I open them I see that I've managed to latch onto one of the metal grates on the front of the train. I look up to see Steve leaning over the edge looking absolutely terrified and wild eyed.

"Buck!" He gasps when he sees that I've grabbed on.

"Oh god I hate trains." I grunt as I try to get my bearings.

It's the worst timing possible but all of a sudden I can feel the fact that we just stopped a moving train with nothing but our own strength catching up with me. Everything hurts, my limbs are shaking with fatigue and I can now tell that there is something wrong with my metal arm too; it's not working properly, I can't hold on as tight as I should be able to and I can feel myself slipping.

"Grab my hand!" He exclaims frantically.

I try to reach up but our fingertips won't even brush, we're too far apart. Looking down all I can see is the fast moving river and jagged looking rocks right beneath me. I can't help but start to panic, hyperventilating I look back up at Steve to see him clambering precariously around the front of the train.

"Steve no! What are you doing!" I shout at him over the noise of the water.

"Grab my hand!" He repeats and reaches out again.

I don't want to put him in danger but I know there's no stopping him and I also want to get out of here, so I do as he says.

This time I do manage to brush fingertips, missing the first time but clasping hands with him the second. Relief washes over me and I can see it in Steve's face too.

"There we go." He sighs as he starts to pull me up, using all his strength and gritting his teeth. "You're gonna be okay."

I try my best to help pull myself up but it's like my metal arm has nothing left to work with so I'm left quite useless.

But then all of a sudden there is a loud groan and the train lurches forward over the edge of the cliff. Just a touch, but it's enough to make me loose the grip on my metal hand leaving me dangling by nothing but Steve's hand. I'm practically frozen in fear at this point, flashing back to possibly the worst moment of my past.

"Ah!" Steve cries out but he makes sure to keep a hold of me, even tighter if anything, locking his palm with mine.

I can tell he's in pain too but he won't dare let me go.

"No." He breaths, his chest heaving as he tries not to freak out.

I'm well aware that there is a constant wining coming from the train now as it slowly slips forward, further over the edge now.

"Steve," I say weakly, looking down at the water below me in terror. "Let me go."

"What? No! I'm not letting you fall!" He exclaims, confused as to why I would say such a thing.

"Steve it's okay," I say more sternly. "It's not that big of a fall. I might make it. I might be okay. It's better to be one of us then both of us. You can come look for me. It'll be okay."

I can't believe what I'm saying but it's the best option we've got. Of course all I can think about is my family. But if I die I at least need Steve to be there to look after them. I don't know how I can get out of this... but Steve still can.

"No! I already let you fall once! I'm not letting you fall again!" He shouts, eyes frantic and tears now trailing down his cheeks.

He looks around to see what he can do but there's nothing. We are both too fatigued to be able to pull me up enough to grab hold of the train and even if we could too much of a sudden movement could send this whole train toppling into the water.