Chapter 103

Bucky's POV:

It's me who leaves the house first today, it's the weekend meaning that (Y/N) is going to stay at home with the kids while I go see Steve for the day. Of course I'm hoping that he will be able to get up and walk today but I'm not so sure, I just can't see his body being able to handle it yet. In saying that, he was leaps and bounds better yesterday even than he was the day before.

(Y/N) and I talked a little last night about what was being mentioned in the hospital room yesterday. She doesn't mind so much about me getting placed in some kind of fixed term job position so long as it's around home, but I definitely get the feeling she's not keen on me going on any solo missions. I get that, but it's hard because I can see that she wants to support me in everything that I do, but at the same time I'm not even sure if I want to go on a solo mission.

But for the moment I can't worry about that. It hasn't happened yet and who even knows if it will. So there's no point in starting a fight about it before necessary.

I head straight to shield, taking the back entrance to avoid those scummy reporters today. Admittedly I'm a little later than I planned on being, but that doesn't mean I'm not completely shocked when I walk into Steve's room to see him sitting on the edge of his bed with his legs dangling over the edge.

"Wow." I state, my jaw dropping open.

Steve, Sarah, Peggy and Seth all look up at me then.

"Hey brother." Steve chuckles and breaks into a proud grin.

"I must admit, I didn't expect to see even this today." I shake my head, gobsmacked.

"Neither." Peggy smiles happily. "But every morning he just seems to wake up doing better and better."

"His wounds are healing over really well." Seth explains. "They're already at the point where I don't think they'll tear or be put under too much strain if he moves around too much. Internals are looking pretty good too."

Steve nods excitedly.

"I'm not saying you won't be in pain, but hopefully your stitches won't rip or anything like that." He is warns. "It's just the leg and the walking I'm most worried about. It might heal fast but I'm not sure if it will heal well."

Peggy purses her lips in concern.

"Oh well, only one way to find out right?" Steve huffs, trying to remain positive.

"Just take it easy okay Steve? Think about how much pain it caused you just to get to this position here. It's not going to be that simple." Peggy tries to calm him down.

"Steve, you don't have to do this if you don't want to. Only do it if you feel ready, don't feel pressured to do it." Seth insures him.

Steve is basically shaking his head before his sentence is finished. "No. This is me wanting to do this." He insists.

"Okay." Seth huffs.

"You're absolutely sure you're ready to do this?" I insist again.

I can see Peggy sitting to the side with Sarah in her lap watching him unsurely.

"I know I'm ready. I feel so much better today." He insists.

"Yeah But Steve, you've been shot three times. Even for you that won't just get better over night. Trust me, I've been injured badly before too and even with the enhancements it's not all a smooth sailing, speedy recovery." I sigh.

I just don't want him to feel too defeated if it doesn't go well. Peggy's face tells me she feels the same way.

"Yeah I know bu-" Steve starts But is soon interrupted by Seth.