"I can hold them." I said, putting my hands up once more.

"With what muscle?" he said as we left. It's true that his arms were like big fat tree trunks, but I could hold small bags.

I glared at him but didn't answer. Dominic seemed like a bit of a wild card to me, and I wasn't sure if provoking him would be funny like it was with the others. He mockingly glared back, then led us to another store.

"More shopping?" I asked in surprise as we reached a store called Macy's.

"You need shoes, too. Mom says." Caleb informed me.

The boys and I followed Dominic inside and looked at the shoe place. Brooklyn and Caleb began showing each other huge zebra print heels and trying them on for fun as I looked around the section for girls.

After a little, I walked over to Dominic and tugged on his sleeve. He looked up from his phone and said "What?"

"I can't get any of these..." I mumbled, looking away.

"Why not?" he asked, annoyed.

"Some of them are like $50!" I said, shaking my head. "Not happening!"

"It's not your money." He said, looking confused.

"That's the problem!" I replied, as if it was obvious. He looked down at the shoes I was wearing, and then sat down on a bench and tapped the seat beside him. I sat down too and looked at him.

He made a "give me" motion with his hand, and I cocked my head to the side.

"Your foot." He said, reaching down to pick it up. I lifted my leg and crossed one over the other, showing him.

"See this?" he asked, tugging the rubber from the side of my black converse.

"Yes?"

"It's not supposed to come off like that." He explained. He poked the bottom then and hit my foot, making me pull back in surprise. I was ticklish there. He smirked and said, "I shouldn't feel your heel either, just the sole of the shoe."

I nodded, kind of getting it. I guess I couldn't wear this forever. And maybe someday I could find a way to pay Charlotte back.

He seemed to take pity on me because he got a little closer and said in a quiet voice, "I remember leaving my real home, Maya. I didn't have very much, and the Anders' had so much. They gave me new clothes and shoes and my own room, and I didn't think I deserved it. But nobody deserves to live the way that I, and probably you, have. It's okay to take good things when they're offered to you."

I nodded, kind of getting it, and he stood. I got up too and he led me over to the vans section, saying, "These are my favorite. How about a pair of these?"

I looked around and then pointed at a pair of yellow suede ones, raising an eyebrow.

"These ones?" he asked. I nodded. He smiled and got the right size for me, then went to pay. I waited on the seats for him as Damon wandered over and sat beside me.

"Did you pick a pair?" he asked, bored.

"Yes." I said, trying not to smile. It wasn't that big of a deal.

"Which ones?"

"The yellow." I said, pointing.

"Yellow?" he asked incredulously.

"My favorite color. Like sunshine." I explained.

He chuckled and said, "Whatever you say, baby." I bit my lip and tried not to smile at the stupid nickname. If these guys knew how innocent I actually was, they would be disgusted. I sort of liked that they treated me like I wasn't super experienced.

Dominic came over to us then and grabbed my hand and Damon's, pulling us to our feet and calling over the others. We picked up a final purchase for me (a very conservative maroon one-piece swimsuit) and headed back to the car.

As we pulled up in the driveway and made it back to the house, I turned from the window and spoke.

"I know you guys didn't want to come today and were forced into it. And I know something bad happened in the past, and you don't want to talk about it. But thanks for coming with me and helping me. I've never been around other people who were adopted before and it's kind of cool to think that you guys made a whole new family together. So... uh, yeah. Thank you." With that, I picked up the bags and hopped out of the car, sprinting up to my room. I dropped all the clothes on the floor and jumped back on the bed, wrapping my arms around myself. Living here was like an escape from the badness of real life, but I was still worried so much. Because now? I wasn't sure I ever wanted to leave.