Interview with a Demon

Start from the beginning

"Yes, well, that's a different story." Kettle agreed.

Mugman finally had woken up and walked down the hall yawning and stretching. He saw his brother and guardian standing next to one another as if they were in conversation. The young mug intended to join if Kettle didn't push him away. Mug ceased a large yawn and rubbed his eyes as he greeted his family.

"Morning Cuphead, Elder Kettle."

"Morning Mugs." The kettle responded but did not make eye contact with his boy. It was just as the little mug suspected. His guardian turned away to make breakfast so he would avoid any questions Mug wanted to ask. This left the cup brothers to stare at each other in bewilderment and concern.

"Did you ask him if he remembered any details?" The mug child whispered to his sibling.

"I was just about to when he changed the subject." Cuphead replied, keeping his voice low as well.

That's not a good sign... Mugman thought as his eyes and mouth curled down in worry. But then they hardened back up. No, he would not give up that easily. Little Mug was determined to get something out of the old kettle.

"Elder Kettle we really need to talk to you about something. We are still being haunted by nightmares." He explained, keeping his voice calm but stern.

"Djimmi will be able to offer better advice on that than I can. Why don't you bring it up when you talk to him today?" Their grandpa replied without turning to face them. But Mugman knew that if it was just Cuphead around, Kettle would have no problem in making eye contact and keeping a close proximity. It was because he was around that the kettle acted differently. And this made Mugman feel a bit neglected to know that his brother was treated with more affection. Especially after he was called a monster the night before when he had risked his life to save his grandpa's. It seemed hardly fair to the young mug that he was given such treatment. Nonetheless, Mugman still tried to be his usual cheerful self.

"Great! We can both-!"

"It's just you, Mugman." Cup said, placing a hand on his shoulder. Mug looked from his sibling back to his guardian. This issue did not just affect him anymore, and he was insistent that Elder Kettle knew that.

"But Cuphead-!" He went to protest.

"It's all right, Mugs. Let's just get you taken care of first." Cuphead explained.

"Okay...." The young mug let out a sigh of disappointment. They then went to sit down at the table when the little cup noticed a small but visible scratch on his little brother's nose.

"Hey, where'd you get that scratch?" He asked pointing directly at it. Mug felt his nose having been unaware of its presence. He couldn't technically feel it, so he went looking for a mirror to see it for himself. And there it was, staring at him just as plain as his nose was. A small white mark curved down his honker not even an inch in length.

"I...I don't know." Mugman finally answered his brother. The memory of the shadow invaded his mind, specifically how it came so close to him. He then shook his mug back and forth.

No. No, that was just a dream. He had convinced himself.

Are you sure, Mugman? The demon probed.

I really don't know. I can only hope it was.

Mug then went to sit down for breakfast. This random mark made him concerned about what actually happened last night. He could tell that Cuphead was also very worried about this scratch that wasn't supposed to be there. Even Kettle eyed it when he eventually settled down at the table too. Was it what he feared? Was Mugman lashing out at his own self? Fear jabbed at his heart. Something had to be done before the child hurt himself even worse. The very last thing he wanted was his own boy committing suicide. Hopefully the little mug's meeting with Djimmi today would solve at least one of Mug's problems.