Strangeness and Charm

Declan's POV.

      I stirred underneath thick blankets, the warmth of them almost overwhelming compared to the colder temperature I'm used to sleeping in. I shifted and groaned, waiting for Esme's comforting voice to come back. When she didn't respond, I reluctantly opened my eyes.

        I looked at the other side of the bed where she had been when I drifted off. Empty. Pushing myself into a sitting position, I looked around the room. She's not here.

      When Esme led me away from the group of vampires, she brought me to the second floor and into a bathroom. I blabbered out the same sob story I told Jasper as she wiped my face with a warm washcloth. Eventually we ended up sitting on the edge of a bathtub with the same washcloth now cold on the back of my neck. I needed to be cooled down before I passed out.

     Then Esme led me to a bedroom, she sat me on the bed and hugged me while I cried. It was comforting, knowing she was here and that she was listening. She continuously pet my hair and told me just let it out. It was as if all my 17 years of trauma and pain came to the surface.

      I'd rather not remember everything I told her.

      Eventually after I was all cried out, she pulled the covers back and left for a moment to grab me extra blankets. She tucked me in like I was a child, and I begged her to stay with me.

      I managed to ask her a few questions about what was going on with them. More specifically, where Emmett and Rosalie were. My answer was that they were traveling in Europe, I actually laughed a little bit when Esme said they were on another honeymoon. I noticed Edward wasn't around either, I didn't ask about him.

     Now I was left to wonder where she went. The anxious and cruel part of me told me that they left me again. Did they wait for Esme to get me to fall asleep so they could sneak away?

      I could hear movement downstairs, but I heard no familiar voices. Well, I didn't hear any voices at all. The silence is eerie, my own movements seem louder and can't compare to the near silent way that vampires can move.

      I shifted until my feet were on the floor and looked around for my boots as I stood. I found them next to my duffle bag by a chair in the corner of the room. I sat in the chair as I pulled my boots back on and laced them up loosely before I sat next to my duffle and unzipped it. I grabbed out a fresh hoodie and pulled mine off.

      I stood up and stretched my back, twisting and turning until my bones popped. Hesitantly I made my way to the closed door. I know the bathroom is right down the hall, I'd rather be able to get there without seeing anyone. I'd rather have a shirt on and have my face washed before I have to talk to these vampires.

      Opening the door slowly and seeing that there was no one in the hallway, I quickly walked to the bathroom before closing the door behind me.

      I tossed my hoodie on the counter and placed my hands next to it to steady myself as I took a few calming breaths. They're probably gone, my Cullens must've left me again. The Denali family will send me back to Charlie's and I'll have to accept that I am truly unwanted.

      Turning the sink on and running the cold water, I splashed some of the water on my face and placed my cold wet hands on the back of my neck. After a minute of that, I flicked the water off and sighed. I reached for the nearest towel and tried my hands and face before glaring at myself in the mirror.

       What did I even expect to get out of this?

       Did I really think I'd be able to see my Cullens again and not let the heartbreak overwhelm me?