Chapter 9 : Waves Of Guilt

Shivaay had resorted to the silence of his study. He sat in the dark with the only light in the room being his desk's lamp. Never before had he ever regretted his actions so much. Never before he he felt so much guilt gushing inside him. She risked her life for his after he mercilessly forced her to marry himself. He threw yet another of his belonging on the carpeted floor in anger. How could he?

What worried him more was the fact that Anika would perhaps never forgive him! If it were someone else not him, he would urge Anika to never forgive. But he was there at the spot. He had no clue how to even face her. If, if only... those lind of thoughts were the only ones that  remained. There was a knock on his door. He switched on the lights and his face quickly gained composure. "Yes!" He answered. A servant informed him to come down for dinner. Reluctantly, Shivaay made his way down.

On reaching the dining table his blue eyes darted around but didn't find her. "Where is she?" Daadi asked him. "She wasn't in the room or anywhere else." Shivaay nodded knowing where she would be. 

"I will.. " he stopped abruptly, rethinking and said, "Om, she would be on the terrace can you.." Omkara looked up slightly taken aback, however he nodded quickly rising from his chair. Daadi observed him with questioning eyes. Shivaay glanced at Omkara, their eyes met and Omkara knew something was up. Shivaay chose to ignore the perplexed gazes of everybody at the table.

* * *

"Anika?" Omkara softly called out not wanting to creep her out as she sat alone looking up at the night sky. He sat beside her instead of asking her to come down. He felt bad for her. If he were to describe her in one word he would choose selfless. Time and again, Anika had proved her loyalty to the family. The family had formed a very soulful bond with her. After the wedding Omkara had doubted of she would remotely even like them. But she had proved him wrong. She had jumped into the fire to save Shivaay. No one did that for someone they hated. It only meant after everything Anika didn't hate Shivaay.

"There's an unknown peace that the night sky radiates, right?" He remarked looking up at the sky. He remembered the days when he used to come up like his and sit alone in a corner. Just like Anika was doing today. When his parents shouting voices started messing with his inner peace.

"Hmm, it makes me feel better. I don't know why." Anika replied.

"What's on your mind?" Omkara asked glancing sideways to have a look at her. 

"Many things, so many that I can't name one if you ask."

Omkara smiled. "If you want to talk, I am here. We all need someone to show how badly we've been hurt. We all need someone to talk to lighten the weight that hangs on our heart. If you do, remember me. I promise to not be Shivaay's brother. I will only be your friend."

Anika's eyes got moist. She and Omkara were very different. If she chose loud words, he would choose silence. If she chose loud beats, he would choose a melody. If she picked vibrant colors he would pick black and white. But beneath all of that there was this inexplicable relatability between them. Pain perhaps! They connected through their pain.

"Come on, let's go have dinner." Omkara offered his hand. Anika however didn't take it, being lost in her thoughts.