"It's just Lonnie," I croak, blindly sitting down at my desk.

"London, we just need to ask you a few questions."

A girl sitting next to me leans in when Mr Hecker is back facing the board. "I'm sorry about all that. If it's any consolation, two years ago, when I moved here, they did the same thing to me."

She smiles at me and I can't help my let my lips pull up at the sides.

"Thanks," I whisper.

"I'm Kennedy, by the way. It's nice to have you with us, Lonnie."

It's hard not to like her already, but this was always going to be my problem. I always found it easy to like people, to gravitate towards them. Yet the people that I liked back home, turned on me as soon as Phoenix pulled the trigger.

I guess I didn't blame them, really. At times I put myself in their position and I saw why they all hated me, why they spat at me when I tried to return to school.

It was easier to hate someone than to let them speak the truth first. I always thought love was the strongest human emotion, but really, its anger. I had to learn the hard way.

"Sit with me."

Kennedy's voice brings me out of my thoughts. She rests her hand against her chin, her elbow sitting on the desk. She's tying her brown hair back in a low bun, one-handed.

"Sorry?"

"Sit with me. At lunch."

"Oh," I squeak. I start to panic, thinking of any excuse to try and nicely put this to rest. "I think I should probably just —"

"Come on," she pouts, "I'm not doing this out of pity if that's what you think. You seem cool and I admire your strength for getting up there."

I'm not strong. Trust me. My brother died and I think it's all my fault.

"I —"

"One thing you'll learn about Kennedy is that she's persistent," a voice says from behind me.

I grip the table, making sure I don't jump.

These people don't know you. They aren't going to hurt you.

"Well, that is how I got you to go out with me," Kennedy grins. "This is Cooper, my boyfriend."

I turn around, acknowledging Cooper, a blonde-haired boy with the greenest eyes I've ever seen.

"Hey," he smiles.

My heart lurches. I didn't think this would happen, but it has. I've already met people who I would probably like to be friends with but I know, deep down, I never can.

I give Cooper a tight smile but quickly turn back around in my seat.

Once the the bell rings, I pack up my books slowly, watching Kennedy and Cooper in my periphery vision as they laugh with each other. His kisses her on the forehead before picking up her books. I look away.

Kennedy grabs my hand, grinning. "Come on, you. It's lunch."

"