Chapter 28: Kidnapping & Fighting

WARNING: Major plot deviation ahead. It will and will not be like the sequel to
'Upon Wings of Change'!

WARREN'S POV:
--•--

Warren watched as the strange little creature crawled across the wall not sure what to make of it. He couldn't smell it and there was a strange heat-wave surrounding its fuzzy, purple blurb of a body.

If he were to guess he'd say it was some sort of snail, one with no shell and that had only one eye stuck deep into its face. He tilted his head to get a better look at it, raffling deep into his instincts but nothing came of it.

It stopped moving, the white pupil-less eye pointed at him.

He cocked his head the other way angling it in a way that he could check if it really had no pupil.

It did not, in fact, have a pupil. What in all the madness? Was it some kind of machine? Was that it, it was some biotechnology?

He snorted and shook till his scales chimed, watching the thing's reaction.

Buzzing like an insect, it closed its one eye a white vapour seeping out of it.

Instantly not liking the looks of it, Warren closed his nostrils and backed away, wings unfurled. From the corner of his eyes he saw both Kymari get up holding their noses and looking disgusted.

He inwardly smirked; biology was on his side. Now if only he could breath through his skin he wouldn't have to take in air through his mouth or nose.

TORREN'S POV:
--•--
The stench made Torren' eyes water and his head spin. He stumbled forward, eyes going blurry. Salt slugs. A salt slug was in his house. He fought through the haze to get to the ventalation controll pannel on the wall, his lungs burring for air that he couldn't breath.

His legs buckled under his weight, a sharp pain stabbing at the back of his head. They shouldn't be there, they were all killed. Somehow he didn't fall unconscious as he knew he would within moments, he stayed aware just long enough to see a pair of boots cross the floor and to hear Ivy screaming before it all came to an ear-shattering quite.
--•--

Torren's eyes snapped open coming to focus on Alic's face. How had he gotten there? He sat up slowly, blinking the blure out of his eyes; what happened, why was he-. "Tell me you have some idea of where they went." He had to fight to keep his tone level even as his blood boiled.

Alic stretched out his hand and hoisted the older male to his feet, a deep frown on his face. "No. Unfortunately I do not, but someone tried to take Tasha and my fire lizards too."

He gritted his teeth his eyes scanning the room to find a mess. There was a fight and he would bet by the scoring and claw-marks that it had mostly been from Warren. "It was the Eastbound wasn't it?"

"The elders don't want to make assumptions-."

"Alic my father was supposed to arrive almost a week ago and yet we haven't found a trace of his shuttle! Now here we are and someone had tried to take the fire lizards, I would say it's safe to say it was them." He turned to glare at the elder already entering his home.

"I assume you know they took your mate and daughter too."

It was all he could do to keep his temper under control. "I made an oath, pact or no, you will not stop me from retrieving them."

The elder gave a simple nod, his expression grim. "We will not stop you, but we will not help you either."
--•--

SELA'S POV:
--•--

Sela scrambled back narrowly avoiding being cut to ribbon by a swipe of the bear-thing's massive claws.

It was much bigger up close and the spines that thickly covered its back made killing it harder than a sicora.

It roared infuriated by a blast of flames at its face only to get yet another mouthful of flame that undoubtedly scorched its lungs.

She had gotten it that way at least twice before but it wouldn't stand on its hind legs. Another useless blast of flames and she hissed throwing caution to the wind. With a single downbeat of her wings she soared into the night sky climbing higher and higher with each additional beat.

Then she dove. Streaking down like a falling star, fire building in her throat until it felt like her mouth was full and even more; if the Kymari hadn't been able to see her before he sure would now.

Just out of the monster's reach Sela released the ball of blue flame propelling it even further with a stream of fire. Closing in she prepared for collision, extending her claws and reaching for it.

The impact was almost bone-crushing, her claws sinking into the thick hide of the monster's flaming face and tearing at it's throat. A moment of chaos later and she was back into the air spiraling out of control.

The wind flew out of her lungs and she staggered to her feet head spinning as if she'd never landed.

The monster roared again, charging her with a lowered head and raised tail ready to fling spines at her.

In a last-ditch attempt she let loose a stream of fire quickly turning red even before it came into contact with the monster.

It reared back and in the blink of an eye something struck it and it staggered back, grunting and bellowing threats.

Another streak of bright blue and the monster fell over, the two gaping holes in its belly smoking.

Sela took in a breath of relief, sitting back on her hunches her wings draped limply at her sides and dragging in the trampled down grass. That was close. Much too close... she hadn't felt so alive in a long time.

She looked back where the blue streaks had come from to see the Kymari lower what looked something like a rifle. She had never been that close to him, he was only a few feet away and yet...

The buzzing of a foreign engine took her attention back to the sky where the sky rippled and a shadow passed overhead.

That wasn't right.