Chapter 16: Loss

WARREN'S POV:

He couldn't move, as much as he tried, he just couldn't. It was as simple as that. He had no energy left, his limbs felt like stone, his eyes were heavy, too heavy. Even his senses were dimmed, whatever noise was muffled, any sensations feint, the only one left reliable was his smell. How else would he have known the Kymari had finally got his quarry?

He forced his eyes to open, the Kymari's blurred, dark figure looming over him, but couldn't managed anything above a strangled little snarl as he was lifted into the air, then, the world spiraling around him, everything went black.

SELA'S POV:

She cried out, pitifully helpless as Warren's limp body was lifted into the air; No, no, no, no! Confusion mixed with her distress as she paced back and forth no longer caring that the Kymari could discover her, this couldn't be happening, she couldn't be losing someone else-

An enraged, pained roar broke the silence, her frustration at the predicament only rising as the Kymari simply gave her a fleeting glance, his eyes neither warm nor cold yet somehow seeming to understand. How could he though? His entire race hadn't been wiped away, everyone he loved hadn't been taken from him... she wanted to go after him, make him leave Warren.

Against her every good sense, a crippling fear kept her from action, leaving her to pace on the brink of tears. How? How could this be happening to her? Again? First Gramps and now... she couldn't go through it again, she'd break.

The kymari was almost out of sight, his footsteps soundless as he moved on at an even, fast pace.

She couldn't fight him, she was still to weak to risk it, but she couldn't leave Warren... she had no other choice, she was going to have to fallow him, again. The trees were safest in her eyes, yes it would be taxing, but the raptors couldn't get to her, them or about seventy percent of all predators that terrorised the place.

She already felt the cold creeping in as she climbed soundlessly to the waiting branches high above, her wings pinned to her sides; it was a familiar cold, one she hadn't felt in years, but had kept her from hurt many times. She knew what was coming, she knew all too well so she did all she knew to do. She invited the cold deeper into her being, letting it freeze over her thoughts and encase her heart in ice.

It was better for her that way, it wouldn't sting as badly. She wouldn't be able to keep herself from trying to stop what was coming for Warren, but it wouldn't hurt so badly. Her body stopped on its own accord, the Kymari's eyes searching the canopy yet never quite landing on her.

She was half tempted to swoop down and gouge his eyes out, but the fall could hurt Warren, and if she wasn't successful... she could get them both killed. Sometimes the risk wasn't worth the consequences, that was one of those times.

He continued on, constantly glancing around and on occasions altering his route to avoid some sort of poisonous plant, beast, or in one case, a giant tangle of vines covered in five-inch thorns.

She had to give it to him, he wasn't ignorant when it came to moving around there, he was still alive.

He suddenly stopped and set Warren down, his movements urgent.

Her heart almost stopped beating, her throat clogged; what was happening? She couldn't see and she dared not move anymore than what was necessary her muscles already trembling from the exertion.

He was doing something to Warren, she knew it, just what... what was that smell? She didn't recognise it but the metallic tinge in it was a clear indication of it being some sort of drug. Was he- was he drugging Warren?
Not good.

Her muscles refused to budge an inch, her heart screaming at them, her brain telling her some other way, but she knew she couldn't do a thing. She could only watch and hope, hope that he would survive until she was strong enough... even then. It was hopeless.

Warren was lost to her.

AN/
Hey guys, hehe. Sooo... this is late. I know. I know very well that it is, but things are still harry and I've been trying. Anyway let me know what you think in the comments and vote by pressing the star-thingy in the bottom corner