Chapter 17: Dakota Knight

Start from the beginning

He takes slow sips of his orange juice, letting me have some from his cup when I ask for it. 

After everything that I feel has bombarded me today, I'm so grateful that he is okay with just sitting with me in silence. He doesn't feel the need to talk to me or entertain me, and I don't feel the need to do that with him either. Our ability to be together without any pressure is something that I cherish and have had with no one else.

He pulls my chair closer to him, pressing a loving kiss to the top of my head. I shut my eyes briefly at the feeling of his touch and soak in the tender moment. He's so gentle with me; I fucking love it. 

I slowly climb into his chair, letting him wrap his arms around my waist as I fully lay on him. He brushes some of my hair away from my neck and lays a quick kiss on my sensitive skin. I told myself that we were going to move slowly, but I can't. 

It's so fucking difficult when I know I want to try having a relationship, and I want to have a relationship with him.

I turn around to face him, our noses brushing at the closeness.

"Dakota," he whispers, his voice full of desperation.

"I know. Me too."

"I'm not trying to pressure you, I promise. You're just so soft, and you smell so good, and I, fuck, I want you."

"I know you aren't pressuring me. I don't feel pressured. I want you too. But I know we have practically remet each other after fifteen years."

"Yeah, exactly. And I get that. I also feel like we never were apart. I think I've always wanted you, and now that I have the opportunity, I don't know if I can pass that up unless you didn't want to."

"But I do. I want to be something more."

"You do?"

"Yeah, I do. If we were to try, to get together, how would the people closest to you feel?"

"None of them would care as long as we were both happy. They don't judge. They aren't like that."

"How would you feel about trying to be something more? Especially with someone as inexperienced as me."

"I'm not worried about that at all. I'm so lucky that you trust me in that way, to be in a relationship with me. I want to reassure you that I'm not looking for anything more than who you already are. Who the fuck made you that insecure? I will beat them to shit."

"No, that's not, only one guy, but he is no longer even in my life."

"Where does he live? You have an address?"

"No, I don't. Why?"

"Do you have a name?"

"Yes, Jack McRary."

"Stupid ass name."

"Why does his name matter?"

"No reason."

"I don't understand the issue."

"There is no issue."

"Poison...what?"

"Just forget it. I promise it's nothing of importance."

I shake my head at him, my brain not being able to properly function after what just occurred. I have no idea what just happened. I don't know why he needs that stupid guy's name. It's not like he's actually going to search him out, right? I can't believe I remembered it, first and last too. I'm going to pretend that didn't happen.

"Can we get back to talking about our relationship?"

"Yes, I want to date you. You want to date me. That's that."

"Poison, dude, no."

"You can call me Antonio when we're alone."

"Okay, Antonio Jonah Summers. Are we dating now or not?"

"Yes. You're my girl, Dakota Teryn Knight."

"You are such an idiot."

"You are such a sweetheart."

He nudges his nose with mine, a beaming smile spread across his face. I don't think I've ever seen him smile that wide before. I like it. I like it a lot. I lean my forehead on his, feeling his hands drift down over my hips. I'm not ready for anything like that yet. 

He chuckles as I slap his hands away from my butt, and he places a lazy and soft kiss on my cheek. This is happening. 

After everything in my life, after all that I've experienced, I've found my way back to him. It's so weird how life works out, and I cannot believe that it has. I had a massive crush on him in my childhood, and now, we're dating one another. 

This is real, and I am so glad it is. I can't express how grateful I am to even get the chance to be with him. Is that weird? It sounds weird.