Chap #4 - Plague of Shadows

Bắt đầu từ đầu

The clouds swirl above us, obliterating any hope of regaining total safety. I catch a glimmer of a glass bottle in his hand. The liquid inside is too bright to look at. He uncorks it and hastily dumps its contents down his throat. Instantly, the voids swarm towards him, leaving us huddled together in fear. The voids - our parents - close in and a scream rips through the air, jarring me into action. I know there's nothing we can do for him so I snatch my sister's hand and pull her roughly along behind me as I run. I drag her towards the forest, and she half-heartedly struggles.

"No!" Her screams cover Grandpa's as she strains to run back to him. "Grandpa!" Tears pour down her face and I feel my eyes brim as well. But I can't let myself cry. I have to be strong. I have to help Ella survive.

"Ella, he's not going to survive that!" I spin her around to face me and grip her by her shoulders. "Ella, we have to run, we have to get out of here."

Through the thick flow of tears I see understanding of the situation start to sink in. "He's dead," I whisper, almost consoling myself. "He died to protect us. So we have to survive." I stand and start to run again, pulling her behind me still.  She doesn't resist. Branches slap at us, snatching at our skin and drawing red lines on our faces. I stumble on a root but quickly regain my balance. The darkness of the forest can potentially hold so many dangers. But we have no choice.

A bone rattling scream sounds from behind us as our parents realize they have lost their prey. I see movement in the dark trees ahead and scream as I collide with a warm, solid void. Falling to the ground, I scramble away on hands and knees. The void moos wickedly and moves in for the kill - wait...

I peer closer at the mass in front of me and see Lippo staring back, terrified. I growl angrily at myself. Of course it isn't a void...voids aren't warm, voids aren't solid. Seeing Lippo instead of Ella reminds me with a jolt that she's nowhere in sight. I know calling is stupid and will draw the voids to me, but at least they will be away from my sister.

"Ella!" I scream, desperately willing to hear her response. None comes, I immediately try again. "Ella, where are you?" A piercing scream punctures the silence in a sharp streak. Then silence.

"Ella?" My throat is raw from the yelling, and the running, but my voice still manages to rise in fear. "Nonono! Ella!" I scream, and take off in the direction of where I last heard her voice. Once again I see a figure moving in the trees as I run, but it's too small to be a void. I reach the shadow and collapse when I see her. She looks well enough, panting and sweating from running.

"Oh my gosh, Ella!" She sees me and instant relief washes through her features.

"I saw something move, I was so scared... I screamed. I thought I was going to die. Raina, I'm afraid!" A sob escapes me as I outstretch my arms for her. She doesn't move. Something changes in her eyes.

"You're going to die you know."Her voice is suddenly calm, collected. "Right here, your dead body will lay. I will be next to you, holding your hand."

"No Ella," I try to quiet her. "You can't think like that." I take a step towards her but she finds her feet smoothly and backs away.

"Your body will fester along with mine, rotting lost in the forest and awaiting a proper burial. Our souls will wander, black and cold, killing relentlessly, shamelessly, without hesitation."

I shake my head, horrified by the images she's portraying. Suddenly something Grandpa said flashes through my head:

"I just have to be sure it's the real you."

"Ella," I whisper,cautiously creeping towards her, as if not to scare her away. "What do I always tell you, Ella?" I ask, slowly, quietly. She doesn't answer but continues rambling intensely.

"Our souls will go to the fiery depths of hell after we complete our service to earth! I'm going to die, and I'M BRINGING YOU WITH ME !"

As she shrieks the last words, I close the gap between us by lunging for her hand. She screams when I graze her hand with my fingertips. She leaps back and continues like she is being tortured, never stopping for air. Her head cracks back, eyes rolling back into her head. Twisted fingers reach for me but I roll out of the way. I think of snatching a stick to defend myself with, but this is still my sister. Even though there's a void possessing her, she still feels every bit of pain that the void is putting her through; she is still mortal. I wonder if it is my mother or father possessing her soul.

Slowly and carefully, I get to my feet and back away from her deranged form. A wicked grin spreads across her face and empty white eyes stare at me. Blue veins snake across her once pretty features, creating a monster bent on killing me. She pulls something from the pocket of her jeans and twirls it around menacingly. it catches in the light and I see the weapon that will kill me. It's the knife grandpa and I made together. he must've given it to her when I wasn't paying attention. How fitting that the dagger to kill me I created myself.

My sister skips towards me and starts singing.

"Ring around the Rosie,"

As Ella skips closer, I bolt off into the shadows behind me, knowing it's either fight or flight.

"Pocket full of posies."

My breath hitches in my throat and I know I can't keep this up for long, not able to run anymore.

"Husha."

My foot catches on a root and I fall. I try to kick my foot free but am stuck. I look around frantically, but Ella is nowhere to be seen.

"Husha,"

Ella whispers right beside my ear. I feel the icy breath of air on my ear. I refuse to show even the slightest hint of fear. My resolve breaks and tears flow down my face as I sob. My sister is going to kill me. She materializes in front of me, making no noise as she moves through the forest. She's still grinning wickedly, evil intent clear in her milky eyes, as she steps slowly closer to me. The second void trails her quietly.

I am going to be killed by my sister.

She is one step away and leans down, putting her face right in front of mine. A cool exhalation of breath washes over me and she cocks her head to the side and smiles eerily again as she recites the fatal line.

"We all... Fall... Down."