December 24th, 2009

Dear Diary,
I can't believe it's already here, Christmas Eve!! I'm so excited!! I hope I get that flip phone I have been asking for, every other 14 year old has one so I will probably get it from 'Santa,' though I know it's just Mum and Dad.

Remember last year when I wrote that I discovered he was real because Dad left my letter to Santa on his bedside table? I didn't think I could still enjoy Christmas thinking he wasn't real. But this year isn't any different.

My favourite part of Christmas is the decorations, the food, the carols and the fun I get to have with my family!!

Oh did I forget to mention it's like 2:35 in the morning!! I'm too excited to sleep!! Mum and Dad have gone to bed hours ago and I already want to wake them up!!
**********************************
Just as I was about to continue writing I heard a bump down stairs. What was it?

Maybe Santa was real and my letter just hadn't got to him!! I quietly opened my door and snuck quickly and lightly down the stairs.

When I reached the bottom I couldn't believe my eyes, and I spoke aloud, 'Santa?'

The man before me, dressed in red and white with a large red sack stopped and looked at me. A strange expression crossed his face as he placed the sack on the ground and made his way towards me.

It was then that it clicked, this man was way too gangly to be Santa. He had no beard made of snow and he had no jolly expression; the sack that he carried, I now realised he was stuffing presents into it, not pulling them out and placing them under the tree. This was a thief that was trying to steal my Christmas.

He stalked toward me and I couldn't help the scream that ripped from my throat. I turned and ran toward the stairs that lead to my parents bedroom. They met me at the door.

'Alice!? What's wrong!?' My Father asked, worry clear in his voice and my Mother knelt beside me.

'A man in the lounge room, and he's stealing everything,' I managed to breathe through my hysterics.

My Father instantly went to his closet and came back with a baseball bat, my Mother's face filled with panic as he took a step away from us.

He turned back before reaching the stairs, talking in whispers, 'I love you both so very much, that's why I need you go to into the closet and lock yourselves in and call the police. Your my favourite girls,' then he placed a kissed on my Mother's forehead and my own before running down the stairs.

'Quick Alice,' she whisper yelled and grabbed the phone before shutting us in the closet and hiding behind her thick coats.

That's when everything happened so fast that I could barely comprehend what was happening. Crashes rang out from down stairs and I could hear glass smashing. I heard my Dad yell out in pain before a loud bang silenced him.

My Mother was on the phone crying as the person on the other end of the phone tried to calm her, repeating that help was coming. I couldn't hear my Dad anymore and tears stung my eyes. That's when we smelled the smoke.

My Mother peaked out into the bedroom and saw black smoke billowing and filling the room quickly. 'Alice,' she spoke through tears, 'We have to be brave ok. Help is coming.'

Then large footfalls could be heard coming toward the bedroom before stopping just outside the closet. My Mother pushed me behind her and deeper into the closet as she threw coats over me, 'I love you sweetie, always remember that. Now be brave and don't say a word and don't be scared to close your eyes.'

She kissed me one last time on the forehead, just as my Father had, before pushing the closet door open and ran at the thief.

After that I blacked out, waking up in hospital due to burns and smoke inhalation. When I asked for my parents the Police and Doctors said they were gone and that they weren't coming back.