Chapter 30

BANG!

Ginny and Blaise's potion shot out of the cauldron and drenched both of them, Hermione and I in the foul-smelling lilac liquid. Students edged away and Slughorn started rapidly performing scouring charms.

"Not to worry!" He called. "As long as you don't swallow any, you'll be fine!" Hermione covered her mouth as I saw some of the potion drip from the bridge of her nose and down her throat.

"Draco," she murmured, both hands suddenly clinging to my chest as her knees buckled and she started to sway. I held her close and pressed my lips to her hair.

"I'm here, I'm here," I repeated soothingly, as Slughorn approached, looking a little dazed.

"She's not swallowed any, has she?" He asked confusedly, wand in hand as he cleaned both of us. Hermione answered the question for him when she swayed into my arms and almost collapsed.

"Good God, boy, get her to the hospital wing immediately!" Shouted Slughorn. I nodded and cradled Hermione easily in my arms, noticing how blue her lips had become. I ran up to Madam Pomfrey and set Hermione down on one of the beds, breathing quickly.

"It's the draught of living death," I explained breathlessly, just as Blaise and Ginny burst into the wing, looking red-faced and Ginny almost tearful.

"I'm so sorry!" Shouted Ginny, bending over Hermione and wiping angry tears from her red eyes. "It wasn't me! I swear, I didn't mean to! She's going to be okay, isn't she? She's going to --"

"She'll be fine," hummed Madam Pomfrey, coming to Hermione's bedside and pouring a hot pink liquid down her throat. "Go on, now. Clear away, now. She'll be okay by tonight."

Ginny nodded miserably and stomped away with Blaise at her heels. I was the last to leave, and stood waiting by the bedside until Madam Pomfrey forced me out.

On my way down the corridor I found Professor McGonagall rushing towards me so quickly I almost collided with her.

"Professor?" I asked quickly. "Are you okay?"

"No, Mr Malfoy, I am not!" She cried, smoothing down her robes. "Miss Granger has just been taken from her room!"

"Oh, no, professor," I said, a little confused, "she was splashed with the draught of living death, and she's in the hospital wing."

Professor McGonagall looked even more confused than me. "No, Mr Malfoy," she said firmly, "Miss Granger was feeling unwell this morning after breakfast, so I suggested she stay in her room. I took her there myself! I checked on her just now, and she's gone."

"But Professor, that can't be!" I cried. "She was in potions, I could swear on my life! Everybody saw her. And then...she was splashed with the potion, and --"

"Well, Mr Malfoy, Miss Granger is not two people," said Professor McGonagall sharply. "I am convinced I saw the girl. The Hermione Granger that is now, apparently, in the hospital wing, cannot be Hermione Granger."

"Then who is it?" I said impatiently. "How can't it be Hermione?"

"Polyjuice Potion," answered Professor McGonagall simply. "Come with me, Mr Malfoy. We will soon see who the Hermione Granger in the hospital wing really is."

Professor McGonagall walked briskly back up to the hospital wing and I followed, heart pounding. There was Hermione, lying quite still. Professor McGonagall bent over her, extracted a small bottle from inside her robes and poured it down Hermione's throat while Madam Pomfrey was occupied in her office.

I clapped a hand to my mouth when I slowly saw Hermione's face and body melt away like soot and ash to reveal somebody else underneath. I recognised all too well the close-cropped, ebony hair, electric blue eyes, and round, smirking face. But I could only think of two things.

The first - where was the real Hermione?

The second - how the heck did Pansy Parkinson get here?

Shorter chapter today, really sorry but another upload will be coming shortly! Also I've uploaded a new cover for this book, which one do you guys prefer? I really like this one, I've been trying to get better at cover art and I think this looks more professional. Thank you so much for reading and voting as always, we're already at 400 reads! :)