Chapter 21

I sighed softly and leant against Draco's chest.

"That's why you couldn't tell me," I said softly. "Oh, Draco, I'm so sorry...we have to tell Professor McGonagall."

"No!" Said Draco at once. He lowered his voice and looked down. "I don't want anyone to know. I'm so ashamed...all I wanted to do this year was to be different. I thought that you'd change that. But it was all my fault."

I leant over and kissed Draco's forehead, parting his hair with my fingers.

"I believe you," I said. "And Professor McGonagall will, too. I know it. We'd better go see her now."

Draco nodded reluctantly. "You're right," he sighed. I stood up, but he caught my arm gently and pulled me back down.

"Hermione," he started nervously. "When...when this is over...what happens?"

I shook my head sadly. "I - I don't know," I said, looking up at the stars. "I haven't spoken much to Harry and Ron at all. I'm scared that Ron will want to ask me to marry him once this year has passed."

Draco's shoulders slumped a little. "And you want to marry him?" He asked.

"No," I said firmly, then hesitated. "Well - at least, I don't think I do. It's just that - he thinks we fit so well together, and we just - don't."

Draco nodded, running his hand through my hair. "Things will work out," he said. "But I'm not sure my parents would approve of you and me," he chuckled.

I smiled. "The last time I was at your house, Malfoy, I was being tortured. That's enough to put a girl off --"

Draco pushed me playfully and I pulled him to his feet. "Come on," I said. "It's getting late. We should see McGonagall now."

Draco nodded, looking a little on edge. Hand in hand we walked back to the castle, and I tried to ignore the look on Draco's face when I knocked on the door to Professor McGonagall's office.

"Miss Granger, Mr Malfoy," she said. "What is it this time?"

"It's about Draco," I said quickly. "And his father."

Professor McGonagall nodded solemnly. "I see. Come in, both of you, and sit down."

We sat down in comfortable armchairs in front of McGonagall's desk, where she herself sat with quill in hand.

"Mr Malfoy, am I right in thinking that, much like in your sixth year, you have been entrusted with a task?"

Draco nodded, though uncertainly. My hand found his under the table and I squeezed it gently, urging him to go on.

"Yes," said Draco, sounding bitter like ice. "My father told me and Pansy --"

"Miss Parkinson?" Interrupted Professor McGonagall. Draco nodded and she noted down the name, before inviting him to continue.

So he told her everything - from the death eaters to the love potion and more, and even how Pansy had threatened Draco with Hermione.

When Draco had finished, Professor McGonagall looked up at them gravely.

"Thank you for bringing this to me, both of you," she said, setting down her quill."It is a very serious matter. I think, however, it would be best if you both went back to your dormitory. Can you ask Miss Parkinson to come to my office immediately?"

We both nodded and slipped out into the darkened corridor.

"I'll go and get Pansy," I whispered. "You go up to the dormitory."

Draco grinned. "Okay." He kissed my cheek. "Good luck getting her out of bed. If she even is in bed, anyway."

I laughed softly and set off down towards the dungeons. Just as I reached the door to the Slytherin common room, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I reached for my wand, but before I could turn around --

"STUPEFY!"