Chapter 4- A Thief in the Night

I startle awake to the sound of a loud thud coming from my closet. I was sure the closet door had been closed when I went to bed bit now it was cracked open. I quickly get out of bed and make my way to the my door as silently as I can. I open the door, screaming when I come face to face with Cole.

"Princess, Princess it's just me. I heard a noise, are you okay?" He soothes as he holds me.

I quickly stutter, " I think there's someone in my closet!" Cole tenses, moving me behind him as he walks into my room, searching it carefully when we hear another thud come from the closet.

"Stay behind me, Laurel." He commands.

I nod even though I know he can't see. We walk to my closet and he quickly turns on the chandelier. After looking around, he relaxes and surprises me by laughing.

"Yeah Princess, you were right there is someone in here. Fortunately for us both, it's just Pogo. Seems like he knocked down some of your travel boots."

"Meow?" came the response from Pogo, the palace kitten, as he brushed past another set knocking them to the floor.

"Oh, Pogo! You gave me quite a scare!" I exclaimed.

The pesky feline only looked at me and gave me another meow. I pick him up and turn to Cole looking at his chest so as to avoid looking into his eyes. Yet another mistake as I take in the way his fills in his shirt perfectly with those huge muscles. I find myself stumbling over my words,

"Thank you Cole.... Look...about yesterday...."

Cole cuts me off, "It's okay, Princess. It's fine, I just overstepped my boundaries but I promise, I would never do something you don't want. While I can't take back my declaration of my intent to court you especially now that your father and my uncle have arranged our betrothal to each other, you should know that I won't force you to do anything you don't want. Just say no and I'll do everything in my power to get them to break off our betrothal but..."

Cole steps closer, his hand slowly reaching out, giving me time to stop him. When I don't, he gently caresses my cheek. His voice tender and full of hope, "I really hope you'll give me a chance first? I already convinced your father and my uncle to push back the official announcement to the Kingdoms so you have time to think it over and decide. We've been friends forever and nothing will ever change that, if you give me the chance I promise to show you how us being friends first will only enhance the love we could have as a couple. Think about it, okay Princess?"

He gently kisses my forehead and retreats, taking Pogo with him. I sit on my bed, zoned out in thought. Is Cole right? Would our friendship only enhance our love if we were to become a couple? Do I actually have feelings for Cole or am I just projecting back what he and everyone else wants to see? And then what? Am I just going to be stuck in the palace preparing to inherit the throne and to be a good wife? I always thought I'd have more time to go and travel outside the palace walls and see the rest of my Kingdom.

I've read so many of the royal books. Yes, the common people may live simpler lives but they're always depicted as happy and healthy. I want to experience that for myself. To see if it really is as simple and happy as the books depict. I don't know how long I was lost in thought for but suddenly, I found myself on my back, gasping. A hand covers my mouth as I began to panic, someone's heavy weight on top of me. A deep voice rumbled from above me.

"Ssh! Listen girl, I'm not here to hurt you but I do need you to show me the fastest way out of here before the guard comes back. If I let go of your mouth, you have to be quiet, understood?"

The man's tone left no room for disagreement. I slowly nod my head, taking in a deep breath as he lets go of my mouth. My eyes drift up the dark figure only to be met by dark brown eyes shining in the moonlight.