Chapter 2- Surprise! You're Bethrothed!

I'm jerked awake to the sound of a trumpet being blown close by my ear.

"W-Wha-!? Who did that!?!" I snapped at no one in particular.

That's when my eyes land on Cole smirking at me, back to his usual antics as if last night he hadn't cuddled with me and soothed my fears. I leap out of bed, storming over to him ready to wipe that smirk off his face.

"What in the world was that for!?!" I yelled at him.

"His majesty sent word to wake you up and escort you to the throne room." He shrugs as if having my eardrum blown out isn't a big deal.

I glare up at him, my hands on my hips. "That doesn't explain why you chose to startle me awake, Cole Manchester!"

"You know I have to keep you on your toes, Princess." He smirks down at me, I cross my arms still waiting for a better answer as I scowl up at him. His face pinkens just a tad and his eyes suddenly look everywhere but at me, clearing his throat as he continues, "Um...maybe...maybe we should get you dressed...I mean you...you should go get dressed for the day."

Exasperated and puzzled by his reaction, I storm off to my dressing room and stop when I see some soldiers apparently guarding my clothes from attacks.

"Cole remove your men.... now." I snap.

Cole's signature smirk was back as he teases, "Come on princess, where's those manners that you were raised to have? Where's my 'Please Cole'? Maybe a little 'Oh Cole! You're so smart and strong!'?"

I glare daggers at him and mutter, "I'll show you where you can stuff that smirk if you don't remove your men."

With a chuckle, he calls his soldiers out, "Your wish is my command, Princess.".

I roll my eyes and tease, "In that case, my wish is for you to go jump off a cliff. Would you do that for me?"

I don't know what compells me to do it but as I tease Cole, I place my hand on his chest and smirk up at him. I'm left completely unbalanced when instead of teasing me back, he grabs my hand and kisses it, his voice serious as he looks down into my eyes, "For you, Princess? I'd do anything."

Flustered, I pull my hand back and practically flee into my dressing room, Cole's chuckle following behind me. I press my hands to my cheeks, my heart racing as my mind tries to process what just happened. But, with a firm shake of my head, I brush it off. Cole is just being a good, loyal friend like he's always been. He certainly couldn't have meant it like that, we're just friends.

Giving myself a shake, I continue on into my dressing room and finding it completely empty. I frown and head further back into the room and not seeing my lady in waiting. Then, recall that she is off due to her pregnancy. I shrug, I mean how hard can it be to dress myself for once? I change into a red corset dress with a sweetheart neckline and a slimming waist. Only to realize I can't tighten the laces on the corset without a lady in waiting. I look through my dresses finding that they all have a corset style bodice so I struggle with the one I'm currently wearing, unable to tighten it properly. I nearly topple over when I hear a laugh from behind me.

"Need some help, Princess?"

I swirled around and stared in shock at Cole.

"Wha-what are you doing in here?!"

He rolls his eyes at my dramatics, "I'm here because it sounded like you were dying in here and I wasn't about to let one of the others come in here to check on you. Now, it looks like you're struggling so would you like some help?"

I blush softly, nodding silently. Cole turns me around and starts to lace up my corset, his fingers lightly skimming over my skin and making me shiver. I feel Cole freeze behind me and clear his throat as he shifts, I blush harder as a brief moment passes between us, I sense how Cole is unsure if he should continue or probably call in another lady in waiting for me. My voice comes out a whisper as I speak,