Chapter : Sixteen - Silence

Chapter : Sixteen – Silence [Ebony Snow]

Silence.

The time Ragne had said had passed. One second over... two seconds over... three... four... five... I turned my gaze away from the princess to look at Ragne. He was staring at his mate frozen. His eyes begged her to wake, and the longer she laid there, still breathing – which was a good sign right? – the more his eyes became panicked.

As I reached twenty seconds over, I jumped and Dere's arms tightened around me protectively in response, as Ragne moved so fast it shocked me. One second he was by the bed, the next, he was kneeling over the girls still form, cradling her sweet face in his hands like she was more fragile than a flower petal. Fat tears were rolling down his cheeks as a tortured whimper was torn out of his throat.

As a minute came up, a howl split through the room, a howl so painful that I couldn't stop myself from curling into Dere's large form that hugged me closer. I felt him inhale harshly near my neck. But he wasn't crying, it was more as though he wanted my scent filling him, it reminded me of the first day I'd met him.

"Ragne," I heard one of the fairies call out. But Ragne wasn't listening, was this what happened when a werewolf lost their mate? I winced as whimper after painful whimper was torn from him, his body near collapsed over the girls slight form as she neither woke or died. The fairy that had been shouting, Emer, I saw as she stepped forward. "Ragne! Kiss her, Ragne!"

Ragne snarled as Emer took another step forwards. The snarl was menacing. Threatening. Deadly. Everybody froze.

"Easy, Ragne," Dere growled as I felt his hands wrap around my arms, as though ready to push me out the way and stop Ragne if he attacked.

"Kiss. Her!" Emer repeated as Ragne turned to look at her with a confused glare.

I stayed silent as Ragne's growl started to quieten, as he turned to look back at his still breathing mate. If she was still breathing, there was a chance that she wasn't going to die, right? Or would the curse let her wake and then kill her after she opened her eyes. Good god, that would be worse. To feel the eminence hope and joy at her awakening... only for the anguish, pain, and destruction of her taking her last breath, for her to die the moment her eyes opened.

The hope in Ragne's desperate eyes scared me as he looked at his mate. For a moment, I wondered if he was going to do as Emer suggested. And then, so slowly, as though he wanted to wake her yet feared so strongly that it would kill her, he pressed his lips to hers. His feature's were tight as he did, scared, terrified of what could happen. A whimper froze the room as Ragne lifted slightly away. Then as though it finally caught his ears, Ragne froze, his eyes still shut, his feature's still tight in fear that he hadn't heard what we all knew he had.

Dawn blinked sky blue eyes up at her mate, waking as though she'd only been asleep for a night instead of a century. Her face lit up in delight at the sight of Ragne above her until a worried frown took it's place, a curiousness as to why her mate looked so pained. "Ragne?"

Ragne flinched as the girl spoke in a beautifully soft voice. It was like he still feared that she might take her last breath any second.

"Ragne, open your eyes... you're scaring me, Ragne," she said quietly.

The moment "scaring" came out of her mouth, Ragne's dark eyes opened and met hers. "Da-wn," he whispered in awe as he crushed her slight form against his own. "Love yo-u."

"Ragne?" she asked, as he buried his face against her neck, his shoulders shook. "What's wrong, Ragne?"

"Dawn?" Cai spoke up.

It was only then that Dawn turned to look at us to the side of the room with a frown of confusion. Her frown deepened when she saw me sitting with Dere. "What's wrong with him, Caoimhe?"

"You've been asleep for a hundred years, Dawn," Emer replied as Cai seemed too choked up to respond.

Dawn's eyes widened at the response she got. "One hundred years?"

The fairies and werewolves all nodded. How did you react to a girl whose been asleep for one hundred years? Did you act like normal? Different?

"How?"

"Remember we told you of the curse?"

"The warmth that I touched was fire?"

I turned to look at the fairies to see tears in their eyes, but for Memory who only looked confused. Knowing that something wasn't right, yet not knowing what. Rathnait was hugging Aoife, Sadb was holding the crying pair while trying not to cry. Angel was hugging Shyne. Emer and Cai nodded in response to Dawn's confused words. But her words made me frown, how did she not know what fire was? But I had a feeling that the question was too harsh, it would be one to silently wonder about, another silent wonder to add to the long list.

I looked back to Ragne then. Would Dere be like that if I'd left? What would he be like if I'd died from the attempts on my life? Of course, we hadn't known each other for very long, but with the way he acted sometimes, it was like we'd known each other for life. Looking up at Dere, his steel grey eyes met mine with an emotion I couldn't name, but that emotion scared me. And in that moment that we locked eyes, I felt like I had my answer to my last thoughts.

Vote? Comment? Thanks!