Chapter : Fifteen - Awaken

Chapter : Fifteen – Awaken [Ebony Snow]

Over the next couple of days, I decided that I was, somehow, going to kill Dere. He wouldn't let me out. Not even to stand in the doorway for a breath of fresh air. It really didn't help that I was bored! TV could only entertain me for so long. It was times like this that I could only wonder how I'd survived by myself in the city.

Looking around the room again, I jumped as Dere appeared in the doorway that lead to the hallway with all the rooms. "Come, my mate, Dawn should be awakening soon."

I blinked at him as he held his hand out in my direction. My first thought was to argue with him. But before I could, questions swam in my mind. Dawn? The Dawn that was mated to Ragne? The two that I still hadn't seen once in all the times I'd been here? That Dawn? "What?"

"Dawn's going to wake soon."

"Yeah, I heard that part. What I don't get is why you're so excited about it."

"Dawn was cursed to sleep for one hundred years ago. Her one hundred years are nearly up."

I frowned at his words. "Why would someone curse her to sleep?"

"Because the angel who cursed her liked to make others suffer."

"Angel?"

Dere nodded. "We will explain everything later. Come on," he waved his hand at me again.

Walking over to him, I took his warm hand. I raised a brow at him as I heard a purring-rumble from his chest, which, if I was guessing right by the way he turned away from me, he didn't want me to hear. I rolled my eyes, these werewolves seemed really easy to please, let them mark you, touch them, and they were as happy as could be. And quickest way I'd found to piss them off? Touch another of the opposite gender. It was actually quite amusing.

Following Dere down the hall, he paused in front of a door like any other, only this one had most of the white pack standing around it. Dere knocked on the door. His hand stayed wrapped around mine tighter than black tape. As I stood like a dog on a leash next to him, I glanced at the others whose focus was on the door that Dere had just knocked on, except Soule, he was staring at the ground.

Before anything could be said, Cai opened the door with his index finger covering his mouth. We all nodded to say that we understood. Dere entered first, tugging me in with him and I saw that the fairies were already in the room. As were two others.

The girl, laying on the bed, was beautiful, and as she breathed, I realised that she was sleeping. My guess was that this girl was Dawn. She looked to be around eighteen-nineteen, her hair was a glowing russet brown and her skin was a pale rosy colour. As I stared at her, I wondered what she was. Was she fairy or werewolf? Dere hadn't told me.

Looking over the female, I saw a male crouched by the bed. Instinct had me taking a step behind Dere, I'd thought Terur was scary to look at... This guys eyes were black, like Terur's, but the sorrow, the rage, the possessiveness, the hate in his eyes made him scarier than Terur. His skin was pale, as though he hadn't seen the sun in years. His hair was matted, unkept, unwashed. Had he moved away from her since she first fell asleep? I wondered. It wasn't a question I could ask now, but it was something I wondered silently about.

"Ragne," Dere said in a voice that spooked me out. There was nothing there, or there was, and it sounded almost like pain, fear, hope, and dread, but the emotion was so quiet, it was nearly missed in the words he spoke.

Ragne growled at Dere in response. It sent a shiver down my spine. And not a good one. I would have been all for it otherwise. But it was chilly, cold, a deep warning as the wolf that crouched on the other side of the bed stared at Dere with eyes I wanted to hide from. And this gentle creature on the bed was his mate?

"I would like you to meet my mate," Dere continued as though Ragne wasn't growling.

Ragne's growl dropped as he then turned to look at me. But instead of the glare he'd been sending the others, when he looked at me, it was with pain. So much pain, I looked to his mate so that I didn't have to look at him in the eyes. "L–Lu–" Ragne frowned as the word wouldn't come out. He shook his head violently before he looked back at me and tried again. "Lu-na." The one word was broken into two, but I smiled at him in response, sending him a wave. How long had it been since he'd last spoke?

He smiled, or, I thought it was a smile, the very tips of his lips quirk upwards. Dere, of course, ruined the progress. A growl poured out of him. Squeezing the hand I still held in my hand quietened the growls, but didn't stop them. Rolling my eyes, I turned back to Ragne. "How long until she wakes?"

It was Dere who sent me the warning this time.

"Sev-en minute-s," Ragne replied. "Two sec-onds."

I nodded as I smiled, tugging on Dere's hand, he looked down at me as I then sat on the floor. Since Dere didn't let go of my hand, it was raised above my head. But then Dere just seemed to shrug as he then – the sneaky werewolf – sat so that his legs were on either side of me. Soule sat also, but I wasn't surprised by that, the others crouched, stood and leant against the walls around the room as we waited for the Sleeping Beauty in the room to awaken.

Vote? Comment? Thanks!