Chapter : Twelve - Fast Food

Chapter : Twelve – Fast Food [Ebony Snow]

It had taken everybody half-an-hour to decide who was going and who wasn't, to get ready, and then to remind Memory – several times – that it had been her idea to go to town. It was during that time that I remembered that hadn't been able to find my phone before I'd left with Cass.

"I'll get you a new one," Dere said to me.

I shook my head. "I don't want to waste you're money, I'll just ask my dad for a new phone."

Emer squealed then. "We can meet your dad?"

I blinked and winced at her excitement. "Sure... But not today, he's supposed to be going to China for a business meeting today, he won't be back until next week."

Emer's excitement didn't die down. And I was suddenly reminded of me whenever Cass told me we were going to the forest. Had I been that bad? Although, thinking of that, I huffed, now that I was in the forest, I wanted the City. Couldn't I make my mind up? But I knew the reason I wanted the City. Today was a Saturday. Cass was generally with some other women in the café discussing books. Yeah, those things that people created from trees. And I wanted to see Cass and demand why she'd abandoned me in the forest. Or that was plan.

Following Dere, Aten, Shyne, Soule, Sadb, and Memory through the hallway that held bedrooms and I didn't know what else, we finally reached the door at the end. My mouth dropped to what was hidden inside. Who would have thought that they would have a garage in the middle of a mountain. It was massive. Big enough to hold over a dozen cars, trucks, 4X4s, bikes, and was that a quad-bike with metal chains around the tires?

"It's for emergencies when it snows," Dere said from behind me.

I jumped at how close he was. I hadn't realised he'd managed to get this close. Now that I knew he was there, I could feel the heat pouring off him, wrapping around me like a warm, living blanket. I said nothing in response. I couldn't. Not with his heat trapping me.

"Come, mate," Dere said.

I sent him a glare and ignored his hand, walking for where the others were heading towards a brilliant black Dodge Durango. Aten and Shyne climbed into the back two seats. Soule sat in the middle seat in the middle of the vehicle with Sadb and Memory on either side of him, which left Dere in the driver seat and me in the front passenger.

"Where are we going?" Memory asked once everyone was buckled in and ready to go.

Nobody answered her. On turning to respond as no-one else seemed to be, Dere spoke up.

"Don't bother, my mate. She'll forget your answer in a moment. If you just ignore her, she'll be quiet."

"Isn't it hard to live with her?"

"Very," Sadb said from behind me. "It's only luck that lets her remember faces after a while. And children? She hasn't a chance at remembering them because they change too quickly for her to remember them."

I couldn't think of anything to say to that. I glanced at Memory before settling back in my seat as Dere turned the ignition on and started forward.

"May I ask a question, Luna?" Shyne asked from the very back seats.

I saw Dere glance at him using the mirror as we drove through a garage looking door... into a tunnel that appeared to be in the mountain. Where did this lead?

As I didn't respond, it was Dere who spoke up. "As my mate, you are the Alpha female in my pack."

I looked away from the too smooth walls that must have been shaped with magic to look at Dere. "So?"