Chapter : Seven - Enter

Chapter : Seven – Enter [Ebony Snow]

I waited for the Alpha wolf to move. Speak. Shuffle. Breathe! And no, I wasn't on about me, but him! He'd taken one large inhale then stopped breathing. Jeesh, how long could a werewolf hold his breath for? I was just about to snap when he exhaled and then started breathing more normally again. I didn't look away from Dere's steel grey eyes even though my neck was starting to ache from standing so close and it didn't help that he was a foot and a few inches taller than me. But I couldn't look away, every time I went to, something yelled deep within not to. And so, here we still stood. Staring into one another's eyes.

I could feel the human-wolfs watching, some of them were even shifting on the spot. Then, he growled at me. Dere growled. At me! Growling back, I wasn't sure where next words came from. Or the power that my words held, making them sound like leaves angrily brushing in a furious wind. "Watch yourself, wolf, I am the forest that you run through and keeps you hidden."

The growl stopped at that. And, from the corner of my eye, I saw that the wolves were titling their necks, Soule was actually laying on his back. What the hell! But Dere, Dere just stared with a fight in his eyes. To give in, or to stand his ground. He was torn. I could see it in his eyes. It made me want to look away first, but as soon as I went to, I felt the trees move behind me. Okay, I decided, my name wasn't Alice, I'd passed that and gone straight to being Qpaofnanyemonazo – yes, I am aware that it isn't a name, and that was my point! Had I been transported to another world while I'd slept? It would explain why Cass abandoned me. Why the trees were acting weird and I could talk to a sparrow. And werewolves and fairies on top of that? Yeah, I was in another world. But now I just had to find my way back.

"What are you thinking?" Dere asked, his steel eyes staring at me with a quizzical expression. For being an Alpha, he really didn't look or act like one. But then, I'd never met an Alpha wolf that could shift to being human before.

"That I got transported to another world while I was asleep," I replied.

The group blinked at me before laughing. Dere growled at them for silence. And silence was what he had. Huh, guess he wasn't always so puppy like, I thought as my heart pounded at his growl. He seemed to hear my heart pound in fear as, when he focused back on me, his face lightened. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"Yeah, well, neither did he," I said, pointing at Kalym. "But you've both succeeded at doing it and more."

Dere winced while managing to send a glare to Kalym at the same time. Kalym looked away, focusing on Soule on the ground. Which brought my attention to him as well.

"Why is he on the ground?" I asked.

Dere glanced at Soule.

But it was Emer who answered. "With wolves, there are different stages of dominance. Being on his back is the lowest form, he's showing you that he sees you as higher rank than him. The others did something I've never seen them do to any other but Dere," the fairies snickered as Emer said that with a grin. "By titling their necks, they're showing you that you're higher than them. And before you ask, not even Dere gets them how Soule is. Soule's an Omega, the lowest rank you can have in a pack."

I blinked at all the new information the fairy had just given me while the wolves glared at the fairies who were trying to contain their amusement.

It was then that my stomach decided enough was enough and let loose a noise that could rival an aeroplane as it was taking off. I flushed red as they turned to stare at me.

"When did you last eat, my mate?" Dere asked me.

"Don't call me that," I snapped, even though I had no idea what it meant in wolf language. I'd never been one to read fantasy werewolf books. Hell, I didn't read books period. I hated books. Even in school I'd glared at the teachers enough that they'd finally given in and scanned the books into a computer where they then let me work. Shredding trees to print ink on! I crossed my arms over my chest. "I ate before I came here."