Chapter 67: Frozen Fever II

It was nine in the evening when it started, right after series of cuddling and kissing through the evening fire; her head against his robed chest while their hands are joined against the lofty pillow between them. The fire king clicked his tongue out of habit as he put down his mug on the nightstand, right after taking a sip of hot tea.

His other hand held a stack of documents, his eyes skimming through the ink cautiously. Aiden had just found a new advantage to finish his kingly duties quicker a few days ago: losing sleep and doing more work.

Elsa, of course, disliked the new life hack. Those papers are taking away her precious husband's attention from his queen (also his morning kisses) and his other favorite acts of attention. She understood him for some reason because of his teenage years spending his spare time doing the same routine— but that doesn't excuse him for not paying attention to her.

Elsa smiled mischievously and sat on his lap, thus wrinkling the papers. Damn the papers, she didn't care.

"Darling I'm working." Aiden sighed.

Elsa pouted, "But you're not supposed to work at night."

"Can we deal with this later, snowflake?"

"What about no?"

"Baby, please.."

"You're not paying attention to me anymore. I want my husband back."

Aiden stopped immediately, his eyes suddenly filled with guilt. "I-i... I'm sorry snowflake. I d-didn't notice that."

Elsa bit her lip, she didn't mean for him to be this sullen. She pressed a kiss on his cheek and whispered, "It's okay, lover."

"I swear, I'm sorry. I shouldn't be too caught up with these.."

"No, no, please, it's alright." Elsa smiled. Aiden flashed her his own and kissed her chin, putting down the documents on the nightstand next to the mug of tea and wrapping his arms around her once again, "What did I do to deserve you?"

Elsa giggled, snuggling closer.

A cry broke out from the cribs, earning an aware glance from the snow queen. The mother worriedly approached her male heir, scooping them up gently to her arms. Tears cascaded down the little prince's small, rosy cheeks as his mouth released the tiniest of noises.

"Chandy, shh, shh..."

Elsa smiled in satisfaction to find his cries wearing down, yet something disturbed the young mother as her palm touched the little prince's forehead.

Panic struck her eyes.

"... He has a fever."

And Aiden sprung to action, exiting the bedroom with frantic steps. Chandler automatically nudged his head against his mother's chest, a natural and common instinct infants do. Elsa tensed up at the warmth that pooled on his forehead once his skin made contact with hers.

His round, blue eyes are currently half lidded in a drowsy way, his small mouth releasing a yawn. Elsa brushed her nose against his hair, caressing the black strands with love. She knew Chandler is one silent child, he would only cry maybe once a day then you'll never hear another for the rest of it. She's not a person to play favorites but Chandler has a very special connection with her. He's only used to either her or his father, or his nanny. But to whomever else he's one stinker. He can sense if it's his mother or not, and his blue eyes would open in alarm if it isn't his mother.

"Maaaa.." He whined gibberishly.

"You're going to be fine, my little prince. You're going to be okay, mama's here."

"Elsa? I heard from Aiden he has a fever. Are you guys alright?"

A certain gingerhead bent over to the little boy in his mother's arms, ruffling his black hair gently, "My little nephew's sick, isn't he?"

The prince cooed in response. Anna frowned once she steered her gaze to her sister, "Infants don't usually get sick. From what I have observed."

"That's what I'm worried about. Auriana is doing fine, but.. Chandler's so warm. It's almost like you're near to fire." Elsa sighed.

"Maybe we don't need the doctor. What if Chandler inherited your powers? Or Aiden's? Or maybe both?"

Elsa glanced at her son with a worried expression, "I wouldn't mind, but both? I don't know what it could be."

"Blue flames. A mix of fire and ice."

"... I don't know Anna. He's just a baby. My baby."

It'll be our little creation, the bridge between fire and ice." 

She shuts her eyes tightly, holding Chandler close.

Anna smiled slyly, smoothing out her nightgown as she spoke, "You know, you're a great mom. You've came from someone so fearful of love... And now, your heart is so big you're capable of loving anyone that will come to your life. Especially your kids."

Elsa smiled up at her, "Thank you."

Anna chuckled, "I'm only telling the truth, sis."

Aiden returned with a small, damp cloth to put on Chandler's forehead. Elsa snatched it from his hand and pressed it against her son, placing him down on their bed and checking his temperature. He cooled down a little, his eyes beginning to close.

She sat down on her side of the bed before scooping him up once again, taking a mini blanket and covering themselves with it so Chandler can have his privacy. She began to nurse him calmly, humming a soft tune.

Aiden joined her soon after, right after bidding a goodnight to the gingerhead princess.

"Is he doing okay now?" Aiden asks anxiously.

Elsa checks his temperature and nodded, "He's cooler than earlier. Where's Auriana?"

Aiden quickly brought the other baby to his arms, her tiny gurgles marking her consciousness. Elsa chuckled and created tiny, swirling snowflakes to dance before Auriana's nose. Auriana beamed and laughed, her small arms flailing out in excitement.

She's perfect. Both of them are perfect.

After finishing to nurse Chandler, she carefully settled him down on his crib,  making sure the damp cloth remained on his forehead. Auriana followed suit, then it was just her and Aiden left awake. She yawned tiredly and lay down next to him, bringing her head onto the crook of his neck and intertwining their hands. Aiden smiled and kissed her forehead briefly before closing his eyes.