Chapter : Twelve - Fast Food

Start from the beginning

"We call our Alpha female's Luna."

I blinked. Turning to Shyne who was looking back at me with eyes that said he had a question, I asked him one first. "So you were talking to me?"

He gave me a nod and a smile.

"Sorry. What did you want to ask?"

I saw Dere's lips curl into a smile. And I realised why, I hadn't even questioned the title. I'd just turned. Damn that wolf!

Shyne grinned at my apologising, making Dere growl. But when Shyne's grin dropped, I had a feeling that it wasn't Dere's growl that made it do so, it was the question he was about to ask me. "Why were you in the forest?"

I felt as though I suddenly had everyone's attention. Even Soule's as he looked at the bottom of my seat so that he wouldn't meet my eyes. "Living in the City... is difficult. And whenever Cass says that she's planning on going to the forest, I jump at the chance to go with her." I paused. "But this time was different. This time, I felt as though something was pulling me through the forest until I came to a clearing. Cass had followed me, then she'd started mumbling... I don't know what she said, but one moment, I was standing there, the next I was waking in the branches of a tree and the sun was starting to rise."

"So this "Cass" abandoned you?" Dere asked.

"Pretty much," I replied. "I'm hoping she's at the café where she usually goes on a Saturday so that I can demand answers."

He gave me a sidewards glance as we came to another set of garage like doors. Pressing a button, they lifted, Dere drove through, then pressing the button again, the doorway closed. I stared at where I was sure the door was. "Fairy magic?" I asked as I could no longer see the doorway. I saw Sadb's nod as I was staring past them all at the mountain. "Wow."

The wolves and fairies chuckled, and Memory asked her famous question. "Why's everyone laughing?"

Sadb told her, even though he knew she'd forget in a few moments. "Ebony still isn't quite used to our magic yet."

"Oh," Memory said as she then turned to look back out the window.

"Was the person who gave you the leaflet this "Cass" person?" Dere asked as he navigated perfectly through the forest.

"No, although, I did think she looked familiar. But I can't think of her name."

"Why do you think she attacked you?"

I shrugged. "Why did Cass abandon me in the middle of the forest? I have no idea." I had a sudden thought. "What happened to the leaflet?"

"I had the fairies destroy it so that none of us would have to touch it."

I felt relief spread through me so fast I slumped against the luxurious car's seat. "Good. I wouldn't wish that pain on anybody."

I saw Dere's face tighten as I mentioned the word "pain". And his reactions reminded me that I was his supposed mate. The pack's Luna. That he'd marked me. Good god, werewolves. I still couldn't quiet believe that these men could shift into wolves. But I'd seen it. I'd seen the impossible. Learnt the impossible – that I wasn't all human. But with the relief from the previous conversation still coursing through me, I couldn't find it in me to care about any of that at that moment.

Staring out the window as the forest past, I felt a twinge in my heart at the thought of not returning with them. Not returning with him.

It took an hour to get from the mountain to the road then to the City. It was eleven-forty-three when Dere pulled into a parking space. Climbing out the Dodge with the rest, I stretched. Hearing a wolf-whistle, I turned and gave the guy a wink. Dere had other plans. Not even a second past before I heard his growl, the rumble of his chest against my back as his arm wrapped around my waist in a possessive manner, his other hand was tugging my shirt down. It was only then I realised that my top had raised as I'd stretched the stiffness out of my limbs after being sat still for so long.