A Single Carnation Was All It Took

"Of all the places you wanted to go for your birthday, you chose this place?" Crowmaster asks Corvus as they were handed lanyards with large cards reading the words "VIP ROYALTY" on them with a picture of a red and black clad knight on the back of a rearing horse. "I didn't know you were a theater fan."

"My parents used to take me and my younger siblings to these, I remember wanting to actually get a job here when I was little." Corvus responds as he leads his two friends to a line with mats labeled "VIP" on them with several other people behind them. "I think you guys would love this."

"I'm sure it's as entertaining as the commercials make it look." Gren says as he pulled his phone out of his pocket to check for any new messages. Nothing, save for a notification on his emails from the pet store about deals on food but that was it. His last message from Amaya was about twenty minutes ago before she told him she had to head into work.

"Someone seems distracted." Crowmaster comments and Gren quickly shoves his phone back into his pocket. "Who was it, your landlady?"

"Uh...no I was just checking to see what time it was." Gren says quickly and pulls his phone out again. "The show starts at six and we're pretty early."

"This place requires the guests to arrive early so they can have time to get to their seats, have pictures taken and buy souvenirs." Corvus explains as they start to walk into the building where two female employees were handing groups various decorated paper crowns. "Okay stay together now."

Once Corvus handed one if the women the tickets and showed her the VIP badges, she handed them three blue crowns and pointed to where they should go. Gren was wondering what the purpose of the crowns were until Corvus explained that they were to show what area of the arena they were going to be placed at, six different colored crowns represented the six areas where the viewers would be sitting at, and in their case they'd be seated in the blue tables.

They were soon led to a green screen room and allowed to grab some prop swords and shields to have their pictures taken and handed them back to the employees before being led to a large courtyard where people were waiting for the show.

"My parents apparently got us front row seats, so that means we're going to be super close to the arena." Corvus states with a grin as they walked inside the building where a crowd was waiting to be allowed inside. "The first three or four rows get little ribbon banners in their cups to wave when they cheer their team on, so we're going to be on the very first row that's close to the arena."

"So this means we get a better view?" Crowmaster asks. "I heard that sitting in the third row is better because you can see better."

"You have a better chance of getting a flower thrown at you depending how good the knight's aim is."

The doors were soon opened and the crowd began to make their way to the doors. Gren stayed close to his friends as they made their way through the arena to the tables painted a soft blue with blue spotlights pointing at them. He could see that they were practically right across from the doors where the horses and their riders would emerge and there was a large balcony with a throne on it. Six different shields were laid on the walls depicting the colors and symbols of what he could guess we're the kingdoms each rider was playing from.

Once they were seated in their row and in their seats, a waiter came by to take their drink orders before loud music began to play. The doors of the arena opened as a silver haired woman emerged riding a horse draped in teal blankets with pale blue trimming walked to the center of the arena and waved to the crowd.

"Ladies and lords, young children of all ages! I am am lady Lujanne of the kingdom of Lunaris, right hand of queen Maria and host of the tourney you are about to watch!" The woman announced as she turned her horse around to gesture at the audience. "Today you will witness the six champions of the kingdoms Katolis, Duren, Neolandia, Lux Aria, Windspire and Everdeen, your kingdoms, to win the title of champion and serve at my queen's side. Please welcome queen Maria and a Lord Viren from Katolis!"