24 | turn to nightmares

Start from the beginning

     "oh, my first mistake" Jenna raised her eyebrows amused and approached the table with more beers "Mason was a catch, girls lining up, and Cade was just living his days with any girls he could get his—"

"ugh, please, I'm still here" Rhena complained with a gesture, not wanting to hear any of her brother's encounters in high school. She approached the table to put the display of desserts she had organized as they let out a laughed and she smiled lightly, standing next in between Damon and her brother

"really?" Damon said, looking between the three, but more specificity at Mason "huh, I always pegged you for a lone wolf"

    "I'm sure I wasn't half the lady killer you were" Mason smiled, but something in his eyes had a different tone.

For some reason, the exchange caused Rhena to let out a chuckle; she quickly hid it with clearing her throat, but the small smirk was still there. Not knowing that her unconscious was aware of the double meanings in the conversation.

"How about a toast?" Mason offered, raising his beer "to new friends" they all said cheers in a friendly way, except for her, who just stayed standing there. She cleared her throat and smiled lightly.

"I'm going with the girls, don't want to interrupt your path to memory lane" Rhena raised her eyebrows and began to walk away after they nodded, so she left and walked upstairs.

    She went towards Elena's bedroom to hang out with them for a little, bit when she got there, it was empty. Confused, she looked around and called out their names, but received no answers. She frowned and went to look outside the window, where their car was gone.

    Then she realized that the two had left without telling anybody. She sighed and began to walk back downstairs to be with the adults, at least there she could silent and not pretend.

  ҉

   Rhena was getting ready. The picnic day had arrived and everyone was excited to get on with the activities of the day. She could hear steps and muffle voices around the house, but she couldn't concentrate, not even in her own.

    Her reflection was in front, and she analyzed and studied every single inch of her face, looking for any flaw. There were many in her eyes, but of course, she couldn't name them out loud. She had to look away, it was too unbearable.

    She turned and grabbed her necklace, putting it around her neck and fixing it. But just as she was releasing a breath, her phone began to ring, causing her to freeze and look directly to the screen. It flashed a name of someone who she thought she had forgot about her, of someone who would disappear, only to resurface with a different tale every time.

    Slowly, she walked towards the phone and picked it up. She debated if she should answer it or just leave it ringing. In the end, she decided to answer it.

    "Hello?" she answered, clenching the side of her blouse, trying to hold onto something to make it seem more real.

"Hello, Rhena" Morgana replied, she could easily picture her smile in her mind, and it that moment, everything felt more real "mind if we have a little talk, sweetie?"

Rhena gulped and looked around, a little nervous "sure" she whispered, nodding slowly.

"Rhena, let's go!" one of her brothers yelled downstairs, and she stiffen.