Raindrops on Roses, Part 2

Rain woke to the sound of Jackie and Rose talking loudly in the flat kitchen. Their thoughts buzzing through her mind like bees before she blocked them out. She groaned in annoyance before begrudgingly getting out of bed and throwing on some comfortable clothes that Rose had set out for her. This consisted of a long sleeved pale lilac top and a pair of charcoal grey cargo pants. Once Rain entered the kitchen Rose was going on about how her mother hadn't nailed down the cat flap on their door.

"No, you thought about it." Rose accused while going to see what had gotten in. Rain grabbed a banana and Jackie went to her room to get ready for the day. She heard the door swing open and Rose's exclamation of,

"What are you doing here?!?" With a frown Rain moved to the kitchen entrance looking down the hall to see none other than The Doctor standing bewildered in the front doorway.

"Me? What are you doing here?!" He shot back. Rose cocked her hip and Rain could picture the sassy look she was giving him.

"I live here." Rose sassed. The Doctor frowned at her.

"Well, what'd you do that for?" He asked, confused. Rain sighed, was he really that thick?

"Oi! I'm only at home because you blew up my job!!" She accused him. The Doctor pulled out that silver stick he'd had last night and checked it.

"Must have got the wrong signal... you're not plastic are you?" He asked then knocked his knuckles on Rose's forehead, catching her off guard. "No, bone head. Bye then!" He turned to leave but Rose wasn't having any more and she grabbed the back of his jacket, dragging him inside.

"Nope! You, inside, now! You've got some explaining to do!" She snapped at him. Closing the door once he was fully inside. He scowled at her then turned to follow her down the hallway only to pause when he noticed Rain standing there munching on a banana. Surprise took over his expression. Rain just stared back, trying to make sense of the mysterious man.

"Who is it?" Jackie called as Rose passed her room, the Doctor walking forward to follow Rose eyes flicking back and forth between the two girls.

"Mum, you give us some privacy yeah? It just a guy about last night, okay?" Rose asked her mum, who nodded and went back to doing her hair until she saw the Doctor, who paused outside her room.

"She deserves compensation." Jackie told him. He glanced at her then scoffed. Rain turned and followed Rose into the living room after tossing out her banana peel.

"Don't mind the mess, do you want a coffee?" Rose offered when he arrived in the living room, heading for the kitchen. Rain just shook her head when Rose glanced at her and sat down on the couch.

"Might as well, thanks. Just milk." The Doctor confirmed, smiling when he saw Rain sitting on the couch, causing a faint blush to form on her cheeks.

"We should go to the police, seriously, all of us." Rose continued, oblivious to the fact that no one was listening to her. The Doctor picked up a magazine and looked over the cover, momentarily forgetting that he wasn't alone, and scoffed. Tossing it back on the coffee table.

"Won't last, he's gay and she's an alien." He muttered, making Rain's eyes go wide.

"How could he possibly know that?!" She wondered. Not realizing that The Doctor would be able to hear the surprised and unguarded thought.

"I'm not blaming you, even if was just some joke that went wrong." Rose continued speaking to thin air. Next the Doctor grabbed a book Rose had been reading and left on the table. He flipped through it then tossed it back.

"Sad ending." He muttered again. By now Rain's mouth was hanging open and she was beginning to wonder just who this man really was. She could read that fast, but only with the help of an animus touched necklace she'd created, and was currently wearing. She was pretty sure this man wasn't a dragon like her, so what was he?