Chapter 10 - Office Rumor

The next day Finland heavy-heartedly said goodbye to Jean's apartment. She kissed the curtains of the apartment and caressed the living room sofa. Her heart was filled with gratitude.

This place was her home and shelter for two whole months. She knew that she would never be able to repay her friend's kindness.

[But seriously, if the house is haunted and you don't feel comfortable staying there, you can come back at any time...] Jean said on WhatsApp.

[I know. Thank you!]

Finland brought her two suitcases to the new place with a very happy heart. The mansion was called the Rose Mansion because the garden was filled with roses. There were several large and shady trees that made the atmosphere very relaxing.

Although the temperature in Singapore reached 35 degrees Celsius during the day, as soon as Finland entered the gate of the house, she felt like she was in a different place because the temperature felt so much cooler.

Until now, she still could not believe her luck. John helped bring her suitcases into the pavilion and Ms. Law helped her organize her belongings. They insisted on helping her although Finland refused a couple of times. For the first time in her life, Finland felt truly spoiled.

After they finished clearing the pavilion, Ms. Law invited her for tea in the backyard. After about 10 minutes, John and Katrin also joined them. They were all very welcoming and didn't bother her with unnecessary questions. Finland felt very comfortable with them. It felt like she was living with her own grandparents.

[So when will we have our tea? You have received your first salary, right?]

Suddenly there was an incoming SMS from Caspar. Finland almost forgot that she promised to treat the guy after she received her salary in return for his help at the hospital during the medical check-up.

Finland suddenly felt her chest pounding. She no longer thought that Caspar was a scammer because, for the past few weeks, he had not bothered Finland at all. A scammer would usually continue luring their victims and would not stop after just one dinner.

OK. Finland felt that she was ready to meet Caspar again and treat him for tea somewhere.

[Do you like bubble tea? Tomorrow is Sunday so I am available all day but if you are busy and prefer going on Monday, I can only go after working hours.] Finland replied to his SMS.

[Bubble tea sounds good. I have surgeries scheduled for the whole day tomorrow so let's go on Monday. Shall I pick you up at the office?]

[OK. Good luck with tomorrow's surgery.]

[No sweat. It's not hard. I've been a surgeon for decades. I can do these surgeries with my eyes closed.]

[Uhm okay.]

Finland put her phone down while shaking her head. She felt that at times Caspar sounded rather arrogant. If she recalled correctly, he was only 35 years old. So, even if he had become a doctor at the age of 25, he had only become a doctor for 10 years. Why would he say that he had been a surgeon for decades?

Also, just a few weeks ago the same thing happened when he said that he would buy the Continental Hotel.

"Ah, I know!" Finland exclaimed suddenly.

"What is it?" asked Ms. Law, interested.

Finland suddenly remembered that she was not alone. This girl had a habit of talking to herself when she was deep in thought. It was not unusual that other people thought she was talking to them.