I'm not sure what to think as I slow down, driving up the winding path through a lavish tunnel of freshly bloomed oak trees. Sunlight leaks down through the green leaves, painting shadows on our astonished expressions.

"This is..." Kat trails off, shaking her head. I can hear the surprise in her voice. "This is nice." 

I nod as we reach the end of the trees and come face to face with a large, Victorian-style house, sitting far back on the well-kept lawn. It's painted a blue that matches the sky, with a large white porch wrapping around the front. I drive onto the dirt path that leads to the closed garage and park as my phone tells us we've arrived at our destination.

I'm not sure what to say, and can't put a finger on why I'm so surprised. I don't know what I was expecting-- I guess when I heard Isaac was working as a janitor, and after our visit to the shady bar, I didn't expect him to live somewhere so nice. So... normal looking.

A hidden part of me, a part that I'm not proud of, wants to rub it in. It wants to turn to Kat and ask her if she thinks a guy who lives in a house like this would have anything to do with the two burly, tattooed men who were following us. 

As I hear the sound of an approaching car, that part of me shuts up pretty fast.

I glance in the rearview to see a sleek, black Porsche pulling up behind us. Kat curses and my heart drops-- it must be the guys. They found us again, they switched vehicles. Of course they did-- how could I have been stupid enough last night to think not seeing the truck in the parking lot meant we'd lost them for good? 

Kat's eyes are wide as she turns in her seat. I shut mine in defeat, knowing this is it. Whatever the hell has been going on these past few days has led up to this. I'm almost relieved that it's over and we'll finally know what they want-- almost.

Kat sighs in what sounds like relief, and I hear her back hit the seat again. "It's not them-- it's just one guy. I'm guessing Isaac."

I open my eyes. Isaac. My father. Sitting in the car behind us and probably wondering what the hell we're doing parked in front of his house.  

This is somehow just as scary as if it was the guys-- I thought I'd have a minute to prepare myself before I met Isaac. I'm not ready to just get out and face him like this. 

Before I can work up the courage to look at my father for the first time in my life, Charlie gasps and unbuckles his seatbelt.

"It's Dad!"

My eyebrows furrow, head whipping around-- sure enough, Peter is stepping out of the expensive-looking car. He shuts the door, catches my eye through the back window, and raises a hand in greeting. I hurry out of the Firebird, leaving the door open so Charlie can follow me out.

"Oliver," Peter greets, smiling. 

My confusion doesn't allow me to do anything more than stand and stare, trying to make sense of why and how he's here. He looks more casual than I'm used to-- he's ditched his usual business suits for a plain button-up and blue jeans. His face lights up as Charlie bounds out of the backseat, jogging over to him.

"Dad!"

"Charlie!" Peter kneels down, opening his arms for a hug that Charlie eagerly accepts. I look on, trying to figure out how he found us. I haven't used the credit card since New York-- it doesn't make any sense. Unless... he knew where we were going all along? If so, why wouldn't he have told me Isaac wasn't in Manhattan?

Another car door shuts, drawing Peter's gaze right to Kat. 

Shit.

That's a detail of our trip I sort-of, maybe, definitely intentionally forgot to mention.